It is your responsibility to ensure that you have the correct visa to study at the University of Huddersfield. In order to maintain your immigration rights in the UK you must continue at all times to meet the terms and conditions of your visa. 

During your entire period of study at the University you must:

  • Ensure that you comply with the Regulations for current students
  • Attend all classes and report any absences to your school via MyHud.
  • Apply for an authorised absence via your school if you need to take a break from your study. The University will consider authorised absences as per our attendance monitoring procedures (Taught students and Research/PhD students) . Please discuss any request for authorised absence with your school to check if you are eligible. Then submit and Authorised Absence Request Form and wait for approval from the Immigration team in the International Office. Please do not travel until you have received confirmation from the Immigration team that your absence has been authorised.
  • Ensure that you do not work more than 15 hours per week in-term.
  • Regularly check your university email (Unimail).
  • Ensure your contact number and personal email on MyHud is always up to date.
  • Re-enrol for each subsequent year of your course.
    • If your address in the UK changes you must: Inform the University and update the new address on MyHud.
    • Inform the Home Office of your new address.
    • If applicable - update your Police Registration Certificate with your new address.
  • If you obtain a new passport, email a scanned copy to the immigration team.
  • If you change your visa or immigration category, email the immigration team.
  • Make sure you do not remain in the UK beyond the expiry of your visa.
  • Comply with any other requirements of your Student visa.

The following pages provide more detail about your duties and responsibilities as a Student visa holder.

Immigration Drop-in Sessions

Face-to-face advice available on visa related matters

Visa Checkpoints

What are these and who needs to attend?

Student visa Spot-checks

Student visa Spot-check inspections

Police Registration

Do I need to register with the police?

Working whilst studying

Undertaking part-time work in the UK

Work placements

Undertaking a work placement as part of your course

Changes to your study

Changes in your circumstances and their impact on your visa

Extending your visa

Applying for a visa extension in the UK