Students who are nationals of the following countries are required to register with the police after they have collected their BRP in the UK:

Afghanistan, Algeria, Argentina, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Belarus, Bolivia, Brazil, China, Colombia, Cuba, Egypt, Georgia, Hong Kong, Iran, Iraq, Israel, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan, Lebanon, Libya, Moldova, Morocco, North Korea, Oman, Palestine, Peru, Qatar, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Sudan, Syria, Tajikistan, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, United Arab Emirates (UAE), Ukraine, Uzbekistan, Yemen, Stateless or travelling on a non-national document (i.e. Travel Document).

If you are required to register with the police, your entry clearance visa sticker or vignette, your BRP or the Home Office letter (your decision letter or the letter accompanying your BRP) should specify this. You must do within seven days of receiving your BRP. 

How to register?

If you are registering for the first time, you will need to start the process online. Please download our e guidance document at the link below which explains the entire process:

Registering with the Police (Adobe PDF)

Updating your police registration

Once you have registered with the police, you will need to inform the police about any of the following changes in your circumstances within seven days:

  • You change your personal details (e.g. name, marital status)
  • You get a new passport or visa
  • You move to a new address

You must report these changes using the online system and obtain an appointment within seven days of the change.

Covid-19 update

The current advice from the Home Office is that if you are required to register with the police, you should check with the police station if it is possible to register with them at this time. If it is not possible, you must register with the police or update your information once social distancing measures are lifted.

If you have already registered and are making a new application in the UK, you should submit your Police Registration Certificate along with other documents in support of your visa application as normal.

Related Links

West Yorkshire Police - Register as a foreign national

Police Registration –

First Bus – journey planner

Metro Train – journey planner