In March 2015, Home office implemented a new system for issuing Tier 4 student visas for students. Biometric Residence Permits or BRP cards are immigration documents. They are a similar size to a photo-driving license or a credit card and contain your personal (name, date of birth, gender etc.) and biometric (scanned photograph and fingerprints) information. BRP cards are issued to individuals who have permission (a visa) to remain in the UK for more than 6 months.

BRP card example for immigration webpages

Visa granted

When your Tier 4 visa is granted you will be issued with a vignette (a sticker inside your passport) which is valid for 30 days. Your actual visa, in the form of a Biometric Residence Permit (BRP), will need to be collected on arrival in the UK. It is very important that you travel to the UK within this 30-day period or you will be required to re-apply. When you receive your visa, you will also receive a decision letter that contains important information about your BRP and what to do when you arrive in the UK. You must retain this letter and bring it with you when you come to the UK.

Course shorter than 6 months

However, if you are coming to study a course with less than six months’ duration i.e. a Pre-Sessional course, you will be issued with the vignette (a sticker inside your passport) showing full-length of your visa – a BRP will not be required in this case.

Collecting your BRP

As a University of Huddersfield student you will be able to collect your BRP at the University’s International Office (Student Central, Level 4) when you come to enrol. This is as the University is an Alternative Collection Location (ACL) for receiving BRPs for its students. However, in order to do this, you must enter the University’s ACL code when completing your online Tier 4 visa application. Our ACL code is 2HE992. 

You will need to enter the ACL code in the ‘Collecting your biometric residence permit (BRP)’ section towards the end of the online Tier 4 application. You must select ‘Collect from an Alternative Location’ option and you will then be asked to enter our ACL code (2HE992). You will then confirm the following address where your BRP will be delivered:

University of Huddersfield

International Office

Sir John Ramsden Court

Wakefield Road


HD1 3AQ 

If you do not use the University’s ACL code, you will be instructed to collect your BRP from the local Post Office. However, in order to simplify your enrolment process, we advise you to use the University as the collection point.

BRPs for dependants

If your dependants (spouse/partner and children) are applying for their visas at the same time as you and will be coming to the UK with you, you can collect their BRPs at the University when you come to enrol for your course. Your dependants will not need to attend in person; you will be able to collect their BRPs together with yours. However, you must bring original passports for all dependants when you come to collect their BRPs.

If your dependants are applying with you, you must email their full names and passport numbers to This way we can ensure that all visas are available for you to collect at enrolment.

Enrolling for your course

When you come to enrol for your course at the University, you must bring your original passport (or travel document) with your vignette and your decision letter given by the British embassy or Consulate so scanned copies could be obtained to complete your enrolment.

Related Links

Home Office - Biometric Residence Permits
UKCISA - Biometric Residence Permits
Post Office – BRP FAQs