We are invested in building our profile and reputation globally, continuing to foster strategic partnerships and collaborations with world-class academic institutions to create a world-leading and inspiring student experience.
Amongst the best in the world
In the 2023 QS World University Rankings, we have been named as one of the top universities globally for the following subjects*:
- We rank 27th globally and 9th in the UK for Performing Arts
- We're in the top 150 in the world for Communication & Media Studies
- We're in the top 300 in the world for English Language and Education and Training.
*QS World University Rankings by subject 2023.
We ranked 6th out of 796 global institutions for reduced inequalities in THE Impact Rankings* - recognising our research on social inequalities, policies on discrimination and commitment to recruitment staff and students from underrepresented groups.
We also ranked:
- 45th out of 850 global institutions for decent work and economic growth - which measures universities' economic research, their employment practices and our share of students taking work placements.*
- 50th out of 745 global institutions for peace, justice and strong institutions - which measure universities' research on peace, justice and our participation as advisors for government policies and academic freedom*.
*THE Impact Rankings 2022
We are in the top 50 UK universities for Research Power, and three quarters of all our research is world leading and internationally excellent**.
Over 60% of our research environment is classified as world-leading and internationally excellent, especially in Music, Biological Sciences, Architecture and Built Environment, Social Work and Social Policy, History and Communication and Media Studies**.
In 2013 and 2022, we were awarded the Queen’s Award for Enterprise for International Trade
In 2020 we were proud to be recognised with 5 stars by QS (an international ratings organisation).