Placements and sandwich courses are a key part of student life at Huddersfield. We know how much employers value graduates who have real-world experience on their CV and that is why we encourage all our students to make the most of the opportunities available during your time at Huddersfield.
What’s in it for me?
- Work with the best - we work with some of the biggest and best companies in the UK and overseas to ensure you have the best possible opportunities during your time at Huddersfield. Our students have gone on to work for companies like The BBC, Sky, Burberry, Red Bull F1 and KPMG to name but a few. Find out more about the companies we work with on our Who we work with page.
- Graduate employability- many of our students return from their placement year with sponsorship and the offer of a permanent job from their host company, and this is reflected in our excellent graduate employability record. We are in the top ten in the UK and top in Yorkshire for graduate employability and a lot of this is down to the invaluable work experience students gain whilst studying at Huddersfield.
- Get paid - whilst you are on your placement year, you are usually paid by the company employing you, and are regarded as a regular employee undertaking a real job of work with appropriate responsibility.
- Not just making the tea! - You might be filling a vacancy in the organisation, be asked to support a particular department or to take on a project that other staff may not have the time or skills for.
- All the support you need - you will be allocated a work supervisor and an academic staff member from the University would normally visit the supervisor to discuss your progress at various times throughout the year, so we will be in regular contact.
How can I find out more?
You will see information about any placement opportunities for your chosen course in the course information listings, and of course you can talk to your tutors about this in detail at our Open Days. You can also watch our video below and hear from current students about their placement and the benefits and opportunties available to students at Huddersfield.
10 reasons to go on placement
If you’re still not convinced, here are ten reasons why placements are so good:
- Understand your industry sector better.
- Help you to decide exactly what you want to do after you graduate.
- Increase your chances of employment after graduation.
- Gain a better degree classification.
- Have the chance to put the academic theory you have learned into practice.
- Enhance your CV.
- Develop as a person and grow in confidence.
- Make valuable industry contacts.
- Make new friends.
- Earn extra money.
Don't just take our word for it though. The BBC recently reported that more than a third of jobs for new graduates are taken by people who have already had work experience with that company. You can also hear what our students think about their recent placements in the videos below or check out our student profile page.