Certificate replacement

Depending on the year that your award was conferred, please find information below relating to replacement certificates


Graduates from September 1992 onwards

A certificate issued by the University is proof that an award has been conferred and is a valuable document that must be carefully preserved.  The loss or destruction of a certificate is a serious matter and a replacement will only be issued at the University's discretion.  The University will not issue copies or duplicates to anyone holding an original certificate.

If you have any outstanding fee-related payments owed to the University in relation to a completed award, no official documents can be produced until this debt is cleared.  Please discuss any debt with the Student Finance Office.

If you have not lost your certificate, or as an alternative to a replacement certificate, a letter of confirmation can be purchased at a cost of £10.  Please visit our Online Store for further details.

A replacement certificate will have the same information as the original but will be produced on current certificate paper.  A replacement certificate costs £40 and a fully completed request will take approximately 10-20 working days to process, but during peak periods this may be longer.  Please visit our Online Store for further details.

When placing your order for a replacement certificate, to comply with data protection legislation all applications must be accompanied by a valid form of identity (e.g. a copy of your passport, driving licence, birth certificate, etc.).  If your name has changed, we will also require proof of your name at the time of award (e.g. birth or marriage certificate).  Applications received without proof of identity after 10 working days will not be processed and your money will be refunded.  

Please note that we can only issue documents in the name that you were awarded and the only exceptions to this are outlined in our Regulations.

Short-course / Standalone module certificates 

Please note, this replacement service is not for short-course/standalone module certificates that are issued by individual Schools.  If you are looking for a short-course or standalone module certificate, you will need to contact the relevant school.

There are some known exceptions, which are:

Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development (CIPD): https://www.cipd.co.uk/

Early Years Teacher Status.  Certificates can be requested directly from NCTL via email: EarlyYearsTeachers.NCTL@education.gsi.gov.uk


Graduates prior to September 1992

We are only able to provide replacement certificates for awards conferred by the University of Huddersfield, that is from September 1992 when Huddersfield Polytechnic became the University of Huddersfield.  If you were awarded prior to September 1992, the contact details for the various organisations who hold the information and are responsible for providing replacement certificates awarded by a variety of examining bodies can be found below.

Degrees and Diplomas:

These were awarded by the Council for National Academic Awards (CNAA) and the Open University now holds these records:


Certificate of Education and BA Education/BEd: 1951-82:

Leeds University hold these records:


Certificate of Education and BA Education/BEd: 1983-91:

The Open University hold these records on behalf of the CNAA:


HND, HNC, BTEC etc: all pre-1992:

Pearson hold these records:



In most instances, and as an alternative, a Letter of Confirmation can be purchased for awards made prior to September 1992.  However, exact dates of attendance are not available, and for non-degree awards the award date may not be available, therefore general dates would be used, eg ‘September 1989’ or ‘the Summer of 1985’.  For further details please visit our Online Store