10% Alumni Discount

Our alumni discount applies to taught postgraduate studies only and is available to all home students and alumni at the University.

Find out more

Other funding options

Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSAs)

You can apply for Disabled Students’ Allowances (DSAs) to cover some of the extra costs you have because of a mental health problem, long term illness or any other disability. You can get the allowances on top of your other student finance and you won’t need to repay DSAs. 

More information on Disabled Students' Allowance (DSAs) can be found here

Employer Sponsorship

Your employer may be willing to sponsor you if your course is relevant to your job. If your employer agree to pay your Tuition Fees they can email confirmation of this to sfo@hud.ac.uk before you enrol, and we can ensure they are invoiced for your fees.

Research Councils

Research Council studentships are open to both Masters and PhD students, although it's PhD applicants who receive the majority of the funding. Every year, Doctorate research is granted roughly £380million from Research Councils. Your university department will be able to tell you whether your course is eligible for funding, as well as offer you advice for submitting a high-standard application. 

More information on Research Councils can be found here

Charities and Trust Funds

Charitable funding and Trust Funds can sometimes help with support for Postgraduate study. This funding tends to be limited and may not be able to cover the full cost of your study. You can find out more from these publications:

  • the Educational Grants Directory
  • the Charities Digest
  • the Grants Register
  • the Directory of Grant Making Trusts

PGCE and PGDipE courses

PGCE courses provide funding on the same basis as undergraduate courses (Tuition Fee Loan and Maintenance Loan). In addition to this, you may be entitled to support in the form of a tax free teacher training bursary.

More information on PGCE and PGDipE courses can be found here

Social Work bursary

Social Work bursaries are non-repayable, and can be used to help with the cost of Tuition Fees and living costs.

Please note – they are limited (or capped) so there’s only a certain number available each year and being in receipt of a Social Work bursary would normally mean you are not eligible to receive a Postgraduate Loan.

More information on Social Work bursary can be found here