Here are some key facts that make the University of Huddersfield a great place to be.
- Top 15 University in the UK for work placement years in industry (HESA Student Record 17/18)
- 100% of our undergraduate students have the opportunity to undertake professional work-related experience during their studies. This includes placements, industry standard projects and real-world case studies*
- Our student satisfaction is 82.70% (NSS, 2019)
* This applies to undergraduate courses of more than 12 months duration.
- The University of Huddersfield is a gold-rated university in the Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF)
- In 2017, the University won the first Global Teaching Excellence Award recognising the University’s commitment to world-class teaching and its success in developing students as independent learners and critical thinkers (Higher Education Academy)
- The University is number one in England for the proportion of staff with teaching qualifications (HESA 2019)
- We are one of the four leading institutions for National Teaching Fellowships to mark the UK's best lecturers in Higher Education, winning a total of 15 since 2008. (2019 data)
- Huddersfield is the only University where 100% of the permanent teaching staff are Fellows of the Higher Education Academy**
** Permanent staff, after probation: some recently appointed colleagues will only obtain recognition in the months after their arrival in Huddersfield, once they have started teaching; research degrees applies to those on contracts of more than half-time.
- 97.3% of our undergraduate students go on to work and/or further study within six months of graduating. This places us in the top 20 UK Higher Education providers. (UK domiciled, Full Time, First Degree, DLHE 2016/17)
- 93.8% of our postgraduate students go on to work and/or further study within six months of graduating (Destinations of Leavers Survey 2016/17)
- We have over 1,300 alumni working at 62 of the FTSE100 companies, more than 5,000 alumni are company leaders, more than 2,000 are owners/founders and more than 20,000 are in managerial roles. (LinkedIn 2018)
Research and innovation
- We've world-leading applied research groups in biomedical sciences, engineering and physical sciences, social sciences and arts and humanities
- We're a dynamic institution that has quadrupled our research income and its postgraduate research in seven years
Our Library was the first to gain the UK National Customer Service Excellence Award and is the holder of eight marks of distinction.
DLHE – Destination of Leavers of Higher Education
HEFCE – Higher Education Funding Council for England
HESA – Higher Education Statistics Agency
NSS – National Student Survey
TEF – Teaching Excellence Framework