Here are some key facts that make the University of Huddersfield a great place to be.
- We're in the top 20 in the UK for placement years in industry. (HESA Student Record 2021/22)
- 100% of our undergraduate students have the opportunity to undertake professional work-related experience during their studies. This includes placements, industry standard projects and real-world case studies*
- In the National Student Survey 2023, the University is above many of its benchmarks with areas of strength in assessment and feedback, learning resources and the student voice.
* This applies to undergraduate courses of more than 12 months duration.
- The University of Huddersfield has been rated Gold in the Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF) 2023. This means that the student experience and student outcomes are typically outstanding. These ratings were awarded in 2023, for four years.
- In 2017, the University won the first Global Teaching Excellence Award recognising the University’s commitment to world-class teaching and its success in developing students as independent learners and critical thinkers (Higher Education Academy 2017)
- Further proof of teaching excellence: our staff rank in the top three in England for the proportion who hold doctorates, who have higher degrees, and hold teaching qualifications (HESA 2022). So, you’ll learn from some of the best, helping you to be the best.
- We are first in the country for National Teaching Fellowships, which mark the UK’s best lecturers in Higher Education, winning a total of 22 since 2008 (2023 data).
- We were the first and are the only university in the UK where 100% of permanent teaching staff** are Fellows of the Higher Education Academy.
**Permanent staff, after probation: some recently appointed colleagues will only obtain recognition in the months after their arrival in Huddersfield once they have started teaching.
- 96.0% of our undergraduate students go on to work and/or further study within fifteen months of graduating (HESA Graduate Outcomes 2020/21, UK domiciled, other activities excluded.)
- 97.8% of our postgraduate students go on to work and/or further study within fifteen months of graduating (HESA Graduate Outcomes 2020/21, UK domiciled, other activities excluded.)
Research and innovation
- We've world-leading applied research groups in biomedical sciences, engineering and physical sciences, social sciences and arts and humanities
- We're a dynamic institution that has quadrupled our research income and our postgraduate research in seven years
Our Library was the first to gain the UK National Customer Service Excellence Award and is the holder of eight marks of distinction.
DLHE – Destination of Leavers of Higher Education
HEFCE – Higher Education Funding Council for England
HESA – Higher Education Statistics Agency
NSS – National Student Survey
TEF – Teaching Excellence Framework