Here are some key facts you should know about the University of Huddersfield
- Top 10 University in England for work placement years in industry (HESA Student Record 15/16)
- 100% of our undergraduate students have the opportunity to undertake professional work-related experience during their studies. This includes placements, industry standard projects and real-world case studies.*
- 70% of students receive a professional qualification alongside their studies
- Our overall undergraduate student satisfaction is 87% - this is higher than the national average for English universities (NSS 2016)
*This applies to undergraduate courses of more than 12 months duration.
- The University of Huddersfield is a gold-rated university in the Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF).
- In 2017, the University won the first Global Teaching Excellence Award recognising the University’s commitment to world-class teaching and its success in developing students as independent learners and critical thinkers (Higher Education Academy).
- The University is number one in England for the proportion of staff with teaching qualifications (HEFCE 9 Dec 2016)
- UK’s leading university for the receipt of National Teaching Fellowships to mark Britain’s best lecturers in Higher Education for the past ten years
- Huddersfield is the only University where 100% of the permanent teaching staff are Fellows of the Higher Education Academy**
**Permanent staff, after probation: some recently appointed colleagues will only obtain recognition in the months after their arrival in Huddersfield, once they have started teaching; research degrees applies to those on contracts of more than half-time.
- 95.4% of our undergraduate students go on to work and/or further study within six months of graduating (Destinations of Leavers Survey 2015/16)
- 93.0% of our postgraduate students go on to work and/or further study within six months of graduating (Destinations of Leavers Survey 2015/16)
- We have over 1,200 alumni working at 83 of the FTSE100 and 157 of the Fortune500 companies, 3,000 alumni who are company leaders (Founders, Owners or Chief Execs) and 30,400 alumni who are working at a senior level (Director/ Partner or above)
Research and innovation
- We've world-leading applied research groups in biomedical sciences, engineering and physical sciences, social sciences and arts and humanities
- We're a dynamic institution that has quadrupled our research income and its postgraduate research in seven years
Our Library was the first to gain the UK National Customer Service Excellence Award and is the holder of eight marks of distinction
DLHE – Destination of Leavers of Higher Education
HEFCE – Higher Education Funding Council for England
HESA – Higher Education Statistics Agency
NSS – National Student Survey
TEF – Teaching Excellence Framework