If you are a care leaver thinking about coming to University, or are already studying here at the University, the  can offer you support and guidance on any welfare concerns you may have.  The service is completely confidential and aims to be flexible and responsive to your needs. 

If you are a care leaver in undergraduate study, you are eligible to access the £2,000 bursary that the University offers.  To receive the bursary, you need to meet the following criteria:

  • You must be a UK or EU student on a full time or sandwich course and are paying the full fee either yourself of by a sponsor (e.g. NHS courses).
  • You must have been in care for a minimum period of 13 weeks spanning your 16th birthday.
  • You must be aged 25 or under at the time of enrolment with the University.
  • Your care leavers’ bursary will be dependent on you being eligible for statutory funding or an NHS bursary.
  • You must be in receipt of the full Maintenance/Special Support grant in the current academic year.

The University will pay the bursary in instalments, typically, £500 in the first year, £750 in the second year and £750 in the final year.

Further support through the University

Eligible care leaver students can apply for financial support through the University Hardship Fund which is non-repayable. 

More information

For further details about care leavers support visit our care leavers page. If you you are still unsure and would like to discuss your individual circumstances please contact us below.


Student Finance Office

For further information, advice or guidance you can contact us here