Can I appeal my fee status?
If you wish to appeal a fee status decision, you must email firstname.lastname@example.org providing additional information, for example proof of refugee status. This has to be submitted before the start of the next academic year.
Below are some category example situations to help with your fee classification:
- I am an EU national and have lived in the UK for 4 years and have pre settled status, will I be eligible for the Home rate?
EU nationals, and their family members, will generally be awarded home fee status where the student has pre-settled status and has 3 years’ residence in the UK, Gibraltar, EEA and Switzerland (unless that residence was wholly or mainly for the purpose of education).
- I am a dual UK/USA national, but I have never lived in the UK. Can I pay at the Home rate?
No, as fee status is based on your nationality and where you were living for the 3 years directly before the start of your course. Even though you are a UK national, you have not lived in the UK so therefore, you do not qualify to pay the Home rate.
- I have permanent residency in an EU country and I’ve been living there for over 3 years but I am not an EU national. Can I pay fees at the Home rate?
No, as you would be considered an Overseas student because you do not have permanent residency in the UK. If you are married to or are the civil partner of an UK national, you may qualify to pay fees at the Home rate.
- I’m in the UK on a visa, can I pay fees at the Home rate?
No, as you are given a length of time that you can stay in the UK. You would need to have Indefinite leave to remain status in the UK and have been in the UK for at least 3 years before the course starts and not with the intention of education as your main purpose.
- I’m not an EU national but my partner is French and we both live in the UK. Can I pay fees at the Home rate?
If you are not married, you will have to pay the Overseas rate but if you are married or in a civil partnership (same sex), you may be eligible to pay the Home rate as long as your spouse/partner has Indefinite Leave to Remain or settled status and has lived in the UK for 3 years or more (must have entered the UK before 31 December 2020) before the start date of your course date.
- I am a non EU student and will have lived in the UK for 3 years after my course has started, will I be eligible to change my fee status to the Home rate?
No, this is not going to change after you have started your course. Also, if you acquire settled status (Indefinite Leave to Remain) in the UK after the start of your course, you will still not be entitled to a change of fee status unless you have been granted this as a refugee.
It is your responsibility to clarify your fee status during the application process. We do carry out a fee assessment during this process, based upon the information we hold.
We are here to help; if you have any queries about your fee status or fee classification, please contact a member of the Student Records team on Tel: 01484 473330 or Email: email@example.com