EEA Nationals

At present, the rights and status of EEA nationals in the UK remain unchanged. There are further details on the webpages here:

If you are an EEA national (a person whose country is a member of the European Economic Area) you do not need a visa to enter the UK, however if you want to live in the UK for more than three months, you must be a 'qualified person'. A qualified person means an EEA national who is in the UK as:

  • a jobseeker
  • a worker
  • a self-employed person
  • a self-sufficient person (someone who can support themselves financially) or
  • a student

Swiss nationals have the same rights of residence as EEA nationals.

EU Accession States


If you are a Croatian national and you have not been working legally as an employee within the UK for twelve months without a break, you will need the permission of the Home Office before you can be employed. If you are made an offer of employment by the University, our HR Department will issue a Certificate of Sponsorship, you can use this to apply for a purple registration certificate. This purple registration certificate will act as evidence of your permission to work in the UK. You will need to have this before you can start working at the University and you will be responsible for any cost associated with these requirements. There are a number of exemptions to this requirement. However, unless you fall into one of the exempted categories you must follow the process above in order to obtain the right to work in the UK.

Once you have been employed in the UK for twelve months without a break, you can submit Form CR1 to the Home Office to apply for and obtain a blue registration certificate which confirms your right to work in the UK indefinitely.  Please see the Croatian nationals section of the Home Office website for more information. Under current guidelines, these restrictions will remain in force until 30 June 2018.

Non EEA Nationals

If you are a non EEA National you may need a visa to enter the UK. Nationals of some countries do not need a visa if coming for a visit of less than 6 months. You can find out more by completing the UKVI online questionnaire.

Types of Visa


If you are visiting the UK for leisure, business, to take part in sports or create events or for another reason such as to receive private medical treatment, you can apply for a Standard Visitor Visa.  Your stay is usually limited to 6 months and you are not able to undertake paid or unpaid work on this type of visa.


If you are planning to work in the UK you will need a visa under the UK Border Agency Points Based System, under Tier 1, Tier 2 or Tier 5. Below is a summary of the Tiers.

Tier 1 Exceptional Talent

Tier 1 of the points-based system is intended for 'high value' applicants and is for those endorsed as an internationally recognised (Exceptional Talent) or emerging (Exceptional Promise) leader in their field.  Tier 1 visas are not job-specific (i.e. they generally permit the holder to take up any post) and therefore those applying for any type of Tier 1 visa do not require sponsorship from the University.  

Tier 2 Sponsored Skilled Worker

To apply under Tier 2 you will need a job offer from a UK Employer along with a Certificate of Sponsorship, issued by HR. Unless you currently hold a visa and you are extending your stay with the same employer doing the same job, you will be required to provide evidence of your qualifications, English language skills and available maintenance. The University will only certify maintenance for you as the applicant, not your dependents, when issuing a Certificate of Sponsorship.

Tier 5 Sponsored Researchers

This falls under the Government Authorised Exchange category, with the University as your sponsor. It applies to researchers, who are being paid from a research council or overseas institution to carry out research that will mutually benefit both the individual and the sponsor. You will need a Certificate of Sponsorship to apply for a Tier 5 visa, and must be able to prove you have had at least £945 in your account at all times for 90 days prior to your application.

You can view more information on all the types of working visas on the UKVI website.

Non EEA family members

If your family members are Non EEA nationals and you are an EEA National, they have the right to live and work in the UK as you do. To confirm this they may apply for a family member residence stamp, or residence card, although they do not need this to enter, live or work in the UK. Further information can be found at the UKVI website.

If your family members are Non EEA nationals and you have (or are applying for) a visa in the UK, your family may be entitled to apply as dependants. A dependant is usually:

  • your husband, wife or civil partner; or
  • your unmarried or same-sex partner; or
  • your child aged under 18 years old.

Once they have received a visa, your dependants have the same rights to live and work in the UK as you do. More information can be found on the UKVI website under the 'guidance for dependants' section.

Before you arrive in the UK

Useful information before you arrive in the UK

Find out more

Arrival in the UK

Useful information for when you arrive.

Find out more


Find out more about accommodation

Find out more

Money Matters

Find out more about 

Find out more


Find out more about Healthcare we offer.

Find out more

Childcare and schools

Find out more about childcare and schools.

Find out more

Support for you and your family

find out more about support for you and your family.

Find out more