Entrepreneurial University of the Year
The University of Huddersfield has been awarded the prestigious Times Higher Education award for Entrepreneurial University of the Year for 2012.
The award recognises institutions that have embedded entrepreneurial activity into the fabric of their institution to the extent that their environment and culture not only fosters enterprising thinking among all members of its community but also delivers significant entrepreneurial impact at regional, national and international levels.
The University was commended by the judges for its “entrepreneurial outlook championed at the highest levels of the institution”. Some key elements that set the University apart from the competition include:
- The establishment of the £12m 3M Buckley Innovation Centre which facilitates access to finance for entrepreneurs and businesses through a number of different routes. The Centre also combines the skills and expertise of University staff and partners to encourage knowledge transfer between tenant companies.
- Work with national bodies relating to enterprise and entrepreneurship including social enterprise.
- Regional leadership for student and graduate business start-up through the Graduate Entrepreneurship Project.
- Excellent record of graduate employability and self-employability. 94% of undergraduate and 97% of postgraduate students go on to work or further study within six months of graduating.
- Ranked in top ten nationally for:
- undergraduate and postgraduate employability.
- student placements in industry.
- the number of student and graduate businesses supported.
The University was also commended for the way in which degree courses embed entrepreneurship into the curriculum and in particular for the BA in Enterprise Development which is supported by Theo Paphitis.
Students at the University are encouraged and supported throughout their studies to think in innovative ways and the University has a number of visiting professors and entrepreneurs in residence.
Enterprising students at the University are celebrated through a Students’ Union award and the Vice-Chancellor’s Enterprise Awards, including Student Entrepreneur, Student Project and Ambassador.
Your feedback has been sent to the University Web/E-Marketing Team.