What is DSA?

DSA is a non-means tested allowance that is used to fund some of the costs that you may incur as a direct result of a disability during your studies. DSA is awarded to full and part-time undergraduates and most postgraduate students who can show that a disability, specific learning difficulty, mental health issue, sensory impairment or medical condition impacts on their studies.

To apply for the DSA your first step is to complete a DSA application form and send this to your funding body (Student Finance England, NHS, Student Awards Agency Scotland, Student Finance Northern Ireland, Student Finance Wales). You will need to provide evidence of your disability to accompany the application. Your evidence will need to explain how your disability impacts on your day-to-day life and confirm that your disability will last or has lasted a year or more. Assistance with this application form and the DSA process is available from Disability Services.

If you are unsure whether you are entitled to support through DSA or who your funding body is, please contact Disability Services for more information and guidance. 

As part of the DSA process, you will be asked to arrange an assessment of your study needs. Advisors in Disability Services can assist with this and make arrangements for the assessment to take place at the University of Huddersfield if you would like to have the assessment here. The assessment is a chance to discuss your requirements with a trained assessor who will let you know what support is available. The support recommended may be equipment such as a digital recorder or a computer (if a computer is recommended and agreed, you will be required to pay £200 towards the cost of this), assistive technology such as screen readers or mind mapping software, support workers such as specialist tutors and mentors or travel expenses. In addition, the assessor will also discuss with you what adjustments the University can make - for example additional time in exams, copies of lecture notes in advance of taught sessions ot note-taking support.

It is advisable to start the application process as soon as possible before starting university. The advisors in Disability Services can assist you, even though you haven't started your course. Don't worry if you have not started the process before you come to Huddersfield, you can make contact with Disability Services at any point during your course.

More information 

Please contact Disability Services on 01484 471001 or email: disability@hud.ac.uk.