An Engaged University
The University of Huddersfield’s vision is to be an inspiring, innovative university of international renown. Our mission includes a commitment to engage fully with the community to realise the public value of the University’s work through contributions to economic, social and cultural development.
The University’s policy embraces the principles of public engagement set out in the Concordat for Engaging the Public with Research
- we have a strategic commitment to public engagement
- researchers are recognised and valued for their involvement with public engagement activities
- researchers are enabled to participate in public engagement activities through appropriate training, support and opportunities
- we undertake regular reviews of our and the wider research sector’s progress in fostering public engagement across the United Kingdom
The University has given a clear expression of its commitment by becoming one of the first universities in the UK to endorse the Manifesto for Public Engagement, an initiative of the National Coordinating Centre for Public Engagement:
- We believe that universities and research institutes have a major responsibility to contribute to society through their public engagement, and that they have much to gain in return.
- We are committed to sharing our knowledge, resources and skills with the public, and to listening to and learning from the expertise and insight of the different communities with which we engage.
- We are committed to developing our approach to managing, supporting and delivering public engagement for the benefit of staff, students and the public, and to sharing what we learn about effective practice.
Training in public engagement - a range of courses provided by leading organisations and experts.
Engagement guides from the NCCPE