Global Disaster Resilience Centre (GDRC)
A leader in inter-disciplinary research, education and advocacy to improve the resilience of nations and communities
What would it be like to live in a world in which government authorities, businesses, communities and individuals work together to create a society that is able to withstand the effects of unforeseen events and threats? At the Global Disaster Resilience Centre we are working with stakeholders at the global, national and local level to make this happen.
The Global Disaster Resilience Centre is committed to excellence in research, education and advocacy to improve the resilience of nations and communities to disasters.
With growing population and infrastructures, the world’s exposure to hazards is increasing. When disaster strikes, communities may need to be rebuilt physically economically and socially. At the same time, it is vital that any reconstruction activity pro-actively considers how to protect people and their environment, and reduce a community’s vulnerability.
The Global Disaster Resilience Centre is part of the School of Art, Design and Architecture at the University of Huddersfield in the UK. In November 2013, the University of Huddersfield was awarded the Times Higher Education University of the Year. The University excels in enterprise and innovation and in 2012, was named the Times Higher Education Entrepreneurial University of the Year.
- Excel in research within an interdisciplinary environment
- Lead international research that has a global reach and impact
- Edit the International Journal of Disaster Resilience n the Built Environment Journal (SCOPIS indexed)
- Constantly publish our research - internationally outstanding, displaying a very high level of originality, significance and rigour, innovative and potentially agenda setting
- Are a key partner of the UNISDR Making Cities Resilient Campaign and are members of its steering committee
- Act as Advocates of UNISDR
- Are a UNHABITAT University
- Provide leadership to our international conferences on building resilience
- Lead ANDROID Disaster Resilience Network
- Provide leadership for capacity building activities globally
- Have a friendly and supporting research environment
- Make a difference with research in the real world
- Have a thriving postgraduate researcher community