The University's policy document on the selection and appointment of examiners for research awards can be found by clicking on the link below:

Criteria for the Selection and Appointment of Examiners for Research Awards

Once an external examiner has been proposed by a student's supervisor, the School Research Office will request from the named academic, the necessary information required to ensure that the proposed examiner meets the criteria laid out in the above policy, through the completion of the Proposed External Examiner (Research) Profile and Declaration Form. This includes providing a full CV and confirmation of their eligibility to work in the UK which is now required by the UK Borders Agency.

Once all the paperwork has been received and processed by the School, this will then be forwarded to Registry for presentation and review by URC. If approved,the examination team will be contacted to  confirm their appointment.

Proof of Eligibility for Employment

We are required, by the UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) rules, to verify the 'right to work' of any person who undertakes any work at the University of Huddersfield. This is irrespective of the length or nature of the employment or the fact that the individual is already employed in another Higher Education institution. The University is therefore legally required to show evidence that it has checked and retained the relevant documentation of every person appointed to work for the University to establish their right to work in the UK, including those who are British or from the European Economic Area (EAA).

We must verify your eligibility to work in the UK by sight of appropriate, original documents before you commence your duties as an external examiner. We appreciate this does require additional input from you as an examiner, but the University of Huddersfield is grateful for your willingness to provide the documentation to allow us to undertake our duties to comply with the UKVI rules.

Most UK and EEA nationals working as external examiners find it easiest to use their UK or EEA passport as evidence of their entitlement to work in the UK. If you are not a UK or EEA national or if you do not have a current UK or EEA passport for any other reason a full list of all documentation that can be used to evidence your right to work in the UK is provided below.

As the requirement is that the original documentation must be presented and verified, there are two ways in which this can be done, and your preference should be indicated when completing the External Examiner (Research) Profile and Declaration Form.

Option 1: Verification of original eligibility to work in the UK documentation by your home institution prior to the examination (please note that this option is compulsory for MA/ MSc/ MEnt/ MRes awards)

The verification of the original version of your eligibility to work in the UK documentation may be done at your Institution by your HR department. This option will be necessary where you are examining for one of the research awards where an oral examination is not mandatory.

This will involve you taking the original of your eligibility to work in the UK documentation to the appropriate person within your organisation. They will then be required to take a photocopy of the relevant pages, and handwrite and complete the following statement on the photocopy as verification that they have seen the original version:

This is a certified true copy of the original sighted by me.

Home Institution:


We would then require whoever has performed the verification to scan and email this document direct to the school administrator at the University of Huddersfield that has requested it as part of the external examiner appointment process, or alternatively it may be posted to them. If you prefer to use this option, there will be no requirement for you to bring the original documentation on the day of the viva.

Option 2: Provision of copy of eligibility to work in the UK documentation on the day of the oral examination

Alternatively you can bring the original of your eligibility to work in the UK documentation with you on the day of the viva. If you prefer this option, in the first instance please attach a photocopy of the relevant documentation you will be presenting to the External Examiner (Research) Profile and Declaration Form when you return it with your CV to the School.

Once your appointment as external examiner has been approved, arrangements will then be made for the School to do the necessary verifications on the day of the viva - the exact details of this will be confirmed to you as part of the appointment process.

Please be aware that the University is unable to pay the examination fee where the original eligibility documentation has not been provided.

In accordance with the Immigration, Asylum and Nationality Act 2006 please provide the appropriate document(s) from the list below (only one option needs to be chosen):

  • UK Passport

  • EEA passport

  • Permanent residence document issued to EEA national or to family member

  • Current Biometric Residence Permit – indefinite stay authorised

  • Current Passport/Immigration Status Document indicating exemption from immigration control and indefinite stay/right of abode authorised

  • Current Immigration Status Document authorising indefinite stay plus NINO card (National Insurance number)/ previous payslip

  • Full UK birth/adoption certificate plus NINO card/previous payslip

  • Birth/adoption certificate issued in the Channel Islands, Isle of Man or Ireland plus NINO card/previous payslip
  • Certificate of registration/naturalisation as a British Citizen plus NINO card/previous payslip

  • Current passport endorsed leave to remain and currently allowed to do the work in question

  • Current Biometric Immigration Document (Biometric Residence Permit) indicating leave to remain and allowed to do the work in question.

  • Current Residence Card (including an Accession Residence Card or a Derivative Residence Card).

  • Current Immigration Status Document containing a photograph endorsed leave to remain and allowed to do the type of work in question, plus NINO card/previous payslip.

  • Certificate of Application issued by the Home Office less than 6 months old.

  • Application Registration Card issued by the Home Office.