Certificates (This Year's Graduates)

A certificate issued by the University is proof that an award has been conferred and is a valuable document that must be carefully preserved. The loss or destruction of a certificate is a serious matter and a replacement will only be issued at the University's discretion. The University will not issue copies or duplicates to anyone holding an original certificate.

Awards certificates are not given out at the ceremonies held by the University.  For students whose Course Assessment Boards take place during the main assessment period, certificates may take up to four months from the date of the publication of results. Outside of the main assessment period this may be less. Certificates are not immediately available after a Course Assessment Board as it can take a number of weeks for the relevant information to be passed from the Schools onto Registry.

Certificates are always posted to your home address, so please ensure that the University is kept updated with your current information, especially if you relocate during this period.  If you have not received your certificate after four months you should email awards@hud.ac.uk and include your name and student number in the email.

Undelivered certificates are returned to the University by the Post Office.  All undelivered certificates not claimed within one year of completion of the course are destroyed for security reasons.  Any undelivered certificates claimed more than one year after the completion of the course will be subject to the Replacement Fee of £30. 

If you have any outstanding payments owed to the University in relation to a completed award, no official documents can be produced. Once any debt is cleared, you should contact the awards team who will then produce your documents.

Certificate Replacement (Graduates from September 1992 onwards)

If you are a graduate of the University of Huddersfield you can request a replacement certificate only if the original has been lost. The loss or destruction of a certificate is a serious matter and a replacement will only be issued at the University's discretion.

Replacement certificates can only be provided for awards conferred by the University of Huddersfield, ie from September 1992. If you were awarded prior to 1992, the contact details for the various organisations holding that information can be found below.

The replacement certificate will have the same information as the original but will be produced on current certificate paper. A fully completed application will take approximately 10 working days to be processed but may take longer during some busy periods.

This replacement service is not for short-course/standalone module certificates that are issued by individual Schools.  If in doubt, please check first

Known exceptions

Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development (CIPD): https://www.cipd.co.uk/

Early Years Teacher Status.  Certificates can be requested directly from NCTL via email: EarlyYearsTeachers.NCTL@education.gsi.gov.uk

To order a replacement certificate at a cost of £30 please click here. To comply with data protection legislation all applications must be accompanied by a valid form of identity (eg. a copy of your passport, driving licence, birth certificate, etc).  If your name has changed, we will also require proof of your name at the time of award (eg. birth or marriage certificate).  Please note that we can only issue documents in the name that you were awarded. Please email your proof within 5 days of payment to awards@hud.ac.uk.

Once you have made your application via the online store, your proof of ID should be emailed to awards@hud.ac.uk or posted to Registry (Awards),University of Huddersfield, Queensgate,Huddersfield, West Yorkshire, HD1 3DH within 5 working days.  Do not send original documents.  Applications received without proof of identity after 15 working days will not be processed and your money will be refunded.

As an alternative to a replacement certificate, a Letter of Confirmation can be requested at a cost of £10. For further details click here.

If you have any queries please contact awards@hud.ac.uk

Certificate Replacement (Graduates prior to September 1992)

In 1992 Huddersfield Polytechnic became the University of Huddersfield. Before this date certificates were awarded by a variety of examining bodies:

Degrees and Diplomas:

Open University Validation Services, The Open University, Walton Hall, Milton Keynes, MK7 6AA

Telephone: 01908 332840

Website: www.open.ac.uk/validate

Certificate of Education and BA Education/BEd: 1951-82:

Leeds University Validation Office, Room 127, EC Stoner Building, University of Leeds, LS2 9JT

Telephone : 0113 3438877 (option 4 for transcripts and statement letter; option 5 for replacement certificates)


Certificate of Education and BA Education/BEd: 1983-91:

CNAA Aftercare Service, Open University Validation Services, The Open University, Walton Hall, Milton Keynes, MK7 6AA

Telephone: 01908 332851/52

Website: www.open.ac.uk/validate

HND, HNC, BTEC etc: all pre-1992:

Click on the following link to view the 'frequently asked questions' document and the replacement certificate application form


Telephone: 0845 6180440