Professor Xiangqian (Jane) Jiang
email@example.com | 01484 473634
Xiangqian (Jane) Jiang FREng is a Professor of Precision Metrology at the University of Huddersfield’s Centre for Precision Technologies. She is the Director of the EPSRC Centre for Innovative Manufacturing in Advanced Metrology and is the Royal Academy of Engineering/Renishaw Chair in Precision Metrology.
Jane started her career as an apprentice. She spent twenty years in the Chinese automotive industry moving from an apprentice to a qualified engineer.
In 1990, Jane started her academic life as an MSc student in measurement science, and transferred directly to a PhD programme where she focused on measurement instruments research. Jane obtained her PhD in 1995 with a thesis entitled “Theory and method for measurement of curved surface topography”.
In 1994-1995, she became a visiting scholar at the Measurement and Instrumentation Centre at City University with Professor Ken Grattan FREng.
In 1996, Jane joined the Centre for Metrology at the University of Birmingham with the late Professor Kenneth Stout. In 1997, the research group moved to the University of Huddersfield, where the Centre for Precision Technologies was founded. She first worked as a Research Fellow on the development of standards for areal surface metrology. She was awarded a Chair in Precision Metrology in 2003 and a DSc for precision metrology in 2007. She became the Director of the EPSRC Centre in Advanced Metrology in 2011 and was awarded the Royal Academy/Renishaw Chair in Precision Metrology in 2016.
Jane’s research involves two major aspects: mathematical models and algorithms for geometrical products specification and metrology, including geometric shape, tolerancing, and surface texture analysis, filtration and parametric characterisation; and optical interferometry technology for fast on/in-line surface/geometry measurement, including wavelength scanning interferometry, dispersive spectra interferometry and optical chip interferometry.
Besides this, she enjoys philosophical research in these subject areas, successfully leading a “Paradigm Shifts Review in Surface Metrology” (Proc. Roy. Soc. A, 2007) and a 2011 Royal Society Discussion Meeting “Ultra Precision Engineering – from Physics to Manufacturing” (Phil. Trans. R. Soc. A 2012).
Jane has published over 330 papers, is the author/co-author of 8 books and has several patents in the field of measurement science/surface metrology. She held a prestigious European Research Council (ERC) Advanced Investigator Grant between 2009-2015 and is a principle member of ISO/TC 213 and BSI TW/4, as well as an Advisory Member for the UK National Measurement System.
Jane was awarded a Royal Society Wolfson Research Merit Award and the Outstanding Asian Woman of Achievement Award in 2006. She is a Fellow of Royal Academy of Engineering (FREng 2012), a Fellow of the Institute of Engineering Technologies (FIET 2006), a Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts (FRSA 2006), a Fellow of the International Academy of Production Research / Collège International pour la Recherche en Productique (FCIRP, 2011) and a Fellow of the International Society for Nano-manufacturing (2013). She became a Freeman of the City of London in 2013, a Liveryman of the Worshipful Company of Scientific Instrument Makers in 2013 and was awarded the Sir Harold Hartley Medal in 2014 for her outstanding contribution to the technology of measurement and control.
Research and Scholarship
One part of Jane’s research is to create radical new thinking as to what the fundamental building blocks of a next generation surface texture-characterization system are and apply that thinking to non-Euclidean surfaces and deterministic structured surfaces.
The research focus on: (1) Generalising the Euclidean concept of “wavelength” to Non-Euclidean surfaces to decompose the surface into different meaningful scales associated with the manufacture process, including Non-Euclidean surface representations; (2) Gaussian diffusion filtering for Non-Euclidean surface, Wavelet Filtering and Morphological Component Analysis; (3) Developing novel intelligent adaptive sampling strategy for deterministic surfaces; and (4) Creating enabling optical principles and technologies to resolve the surface measurement and quality control problems and developing embedded optical metrology, in-process measurement technology and instrumentation.
Another focus is carrying out research inspired by the real demands and uses of the manufacturing industry, with a particular focus on metrology – the precise measurement and verification of items passing through the production process. As manufacturing makes a shift towards intelligent, digital systems, new technology is required to ensure that factory systems remain reliable while designing, producing and verifying high value products. Jane’s research brings together modern mathematics and optics to create sensor hardware and bespoke software, with a new approach to hierarchical design and metrology. Building on her experience in the automotive industry and over 20 years’ research in measurement science, Jane’s research will form the backbone of autonomous manufacturing infrastructure over the next thirty years.
Jane has published more than 330 papers; with key publications in the following major journals: Philosophy Transaction of the Royal Society A, Proceedings of the Royal Society A, Applied Optics, Optical Letters, Optical Express, Review Scientific Instruments, Measurement Science and Technology, CIRP Manufacturing Technology, Precision Engineering, Wear, Proceedings of the Institute of Mechanical Engineers and Tribology Letters & Transactions. She has author/co-authored/edited eight books, three special issue journals and seven conference proceedings on measurement science and manufacturing research. She has been awarded over £13.9 million of funding to support her research as a principal investigator.
Current Major Research Grants:
- Horizon 2020, MSCA-IF-EF-ST 767466, Accurate Full-Field 3D Shape Measurement Technique of Specular Surfaces by Phase-to-Depth Deflectometry (2016-2018)
- The Royal Academy of Engineering, RCSRF1516\2\7, Renishaw/RAEng Chair in Precision Metrology (2016-2021)
- ERC, ERC-2014-PoC 665589, Development of a New Wavelength Scanning Interferometer for Embedded Metrology, (2014-2015)
- EPSRC, EP/K018345/1, Miniature Flexible & Reconfigurable Manufacturing System for 3D Micro-products (2013-2017)
- EPSRC, EP/I033424/1, EPSRC Centre for Innovative Manufacturing in Advanced Metrology (2011-2016)
Completed Major ERC & EPSRC Research Grants:
- ERC, ERC-AdG-228117, Fundaments and Principles for Measurement and Characterization of 21st Century Science and Engineering Surfaces, (2009-2015)
- EPSRC, EPE0237111 (UPS2-03 & UPS2-020), In-situ Real-time Measurement for Micro-Structured Surfaces on the Drum DTM, (2009-2011)
- EPSRC, EP/E032242/1, New Geometrical Filtration for Ultra Precision Manufactured Products, (2008-2010)
- EPSRC, EP/E03733X/1, Concept and Feasibility Study for an Optical Chip (2007-2010)
- EPSRC, GR/S13316/01, Wavelet Theory and Representation for Surfaces (2003-2006)
- UK Chairman of International Academy of Production Research (CIRP), May 2015-
- Freeman of the City of London, Nov. 2013-
- Liveryman of the Worshipful Company of Scientific Instrument Makers, Feb. 2013-
- Fellow of International Society for Nano-manufacturing, FISNM, Feb. 2013 -
- Elected Fellow of Royal Academy of Engineering, FREng, Jul. 2012 -
- Chartered Engineer, Engineering Council, CEng, Jun. 2012
- Fellow of International Academy of Production Research (CIRP), FCIRP, Aug. 2011 -
- Fellow of the Institute of Engineering Technologies, FIET, Dec. 2006 -
- Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts, FRSA, Aug. 2006 -
- Ambassador of Huddersfield (One of 25 high-profiles), Oct. 2006 -
- President of the International Committee on Measurements and Instrumentation (ICOMI 2005-2007)
- Fellow of Chinese Society of Measurement and Instruments, Jun. 2004 -
Externally Recognised Academic Experts:
- Panellist of Panel 6: Manufacturing and Design, Royal Academy of Engineering (2014-).
- Member of Newton Fund Steering Group, Royal Academy of Engineering (2014-).
- Panellist of evaluation group of LNE - Laboratoire National de métrologie et d’essais (French NPL), National Academy of Technologies of France (Académie des technologies) (2013-2016).
- Member of International Science and Technology Advisory Board, China State Council (2014-2017).
- Panellist of Research Assessment (ARC 13) Panel for HÖGSKOLAN I HALMSTAD (Halmstad University) 2013.
- Principal expert member of BSI Technical Committee (TDW/4) (April 2004-).
- Principal expert member of ISO TC213 Committee (January 2000).
- Consultant expert to China TC 240 Standardisation Committee (January 2000).
- Peer Review Member, European Research Council (2009-)
- Peer Review College Member, UK EPSRC Council (2006-)
- UK BIS/DUIS/DTI Advisory Committee Member (2005- )
- Overseas Peer Review Fellow, NSFC Council, China (2004-)
- Member of European Society for Precision Engineering and Nanotechnology (February 2002 –).
- Honorary Professor, Hebei University of Technology, China (March 2014 – ).
- Visiting Professor, Chuangchun University of Science and Technology (August 2012 -).
- Distinguished Professor, the Shanghai Optical Manufacturing Centre for Precision Technologies, Fudan University, Shanghai, China (December 2010 – ).
- Honorary Director and Professor, the State Key Laboratory for mechanical engineering standardisation, Education Ministry of China, (March 2004 – ).
- Honorary President, the Chinese Society of interchangeable manufacturing and measurement technology (March 2004 – ).
- Cheung Kong (Yangzi) Distinguished Professor, Education Ministry of China (1999 – 2010), located at Huazhong University of Science and Technology.
- Co–ordinator, Anglo-Chinese Bilateral Exchange Programme on Nanometrology, Sponsored by EPSRC UK – NFFC China (August 2005 –).
- Secretary, the China Optical-Electronic Society in UK (1994-1996).
Memberships in the Conferences
- Member of International Programme Committee The International Symposium on Laser Metrology for Precision Measurement and Inspection in Industry 2014, Japan.
- Co-Conference Chair, The 13th CIRP International Conference on Computer Aided Tolerancing, 11 - 14 May 2014, Huangzhuo, China.
- Member of the Steering Committee, The 11th International Symposium on Measurement Technology and Intelligent Instruments (ISMTII2013), 1 – 5 July 2013, Aachen/Braunschweig, Germany.
- Member of the International Scientific Committee, “14th International Conference on the Metrology and Properties of Engineering Surface”, 17 -21 June 2013, Taipei, Taiwan.
- Conference Chair, The 12th CIRP International conference on Computer Aided Tolerancing, 18 - 19 April 2012, Huddersfield, UK.
- Chair: Royal Society Satellite Meeting on Precision Measurement, 14 -15 July 2011, Chicheley Hall, Buckinghamshire, UK.
- Chair, CIRP UK Manufacturing Technology Day, 6th May 2011, Huddersfield, UK.
- Leading Chair: Royal Society Scientific Discussion Meeting, Ultra-precision engineering - from physics to manufacturing, 21 - 22 March 2011, The Royal Society, London, UK.
- Chair: Royal Society Research Fellows International Scientific Seminar on Functional Structured Surfaces, 22 - 23 November 2010, Chicheley Hall, Buckinghamshire, UK.
- Member of the Steering Committee, The 10th International Symposium on Measurement Technology and Intelligent Instruments (ISMTII2011), 29 June – 2 July 2011, Kaist, Korea.
- Member of the Organising Committee, “13th International Conference on the Metrology and Properties of Engineering Surface”, 12 -15 April 2011, Twickenham, UK.
- Member of International Scientific Committee, The 36th International MATADOR Conference, Manchester, 14 -16 July 2010, UK.
- Member of International Programme Committee, Measurement Systems and Process Improvement (MSPI) 2010, IMEKO TC21, 19 – 20 April 2010, Teddington, UK.
- Member of Scientific Committee, The 11th International Conference on the Metrology and Properties of Engineering Surfaces, 8 -10 July 2009, Rzeszów, Poland.
- Member of the Steering Committee, The 9th International Symposium on Measurement Technology and Intelligent Instruments (ISMTII2009), 29 June – 2 July 2009, Saint-Petersburg, Russia.
- Member of International Scientific Committee, The 11th CIRP International Conference on Computer Aided Tolerancing “Specification and Verification for Assemblies”, 26 -27 March 2009, Annecy, France.
- Conference Programme Chair, The 11th International Conference on the Metrology and Properties of Engineering Surfaces, 16 –20 July 2007, Huddersfield, UK.
- Co-Chair of the Programme Committee, The 8th International Symposium on Measurement Technology and Intelligent Instruments, 25 – 27 Sep. 2007, ISMTII2007, Sendai, Japan.
- Member of Programme Committee, Asia Pacific Conference on Optics Manufacture 2007, 11 – 13 January. 2007, Hong Kong.
- Member of International Program Committee, The 10th CIRP International Seminar on Computer Aided Tolerancing “Specification and Verification for Assemblies, 21 - 23 March 2007, Erlangen, Germany.
- Conference Chair, The 7th International Symposium on Measurement Technology and Intelligent Instruments, 6th to 8th September 2005, University of Huddersfield, UK
- Seminar Chair, Life Lectures: History and Future Prospects in the Field of Measurement and Instrumentation, 5 September 2005, Huddersfield, UK.
- Co-Chair of the Scientific Committee and Organising Committee, The 6th International Symposium on Measurement Technology and Intelligent Instruments, 28 November - 1 December, 2003, Hong Kong.
- Member of the Programme Committee, The 9th International Conference on the Metrology and Properties of Engineering Surface, 10 - 11 September 2003, Halmstad University, Sweden.
- Member of the International Organising Committee, The 2nd International Symposium on Instrumentation Science and Technology, 18 – 22 August 2002, Jinan, China
- Member of the Organising Committee, The 8th International Conference on the Metrology and Properties of Engineering Surface”, 27 – 30 April 2000, University of Huddersfield, UK.
Major Plenary and Keynotes in the Conferences
- Optical Interferometry Technology for Embedded Metrology, Optical Metrology, 14th Oct. UK
- Freeform surface characterisation, Structured Freeform Surfaces EUSPEN, 19th-20th November 2014 Padova, Italy
- An Integrated-optic Chip Device for Micro/Nano Embedded Metrology, Photon 14, 1 – 4 Sept 2014, London, UK
- Embedded Surface Measurement, In: 13th CIRP Conference on Computer Aided Tolerancing, 11-14 May 2014, Hangzhou, China
- Philosophical and Technological Shifts in Surface Metrology, 14th International Conference in Met & Props in Engineering Surfaces, 19th – 21st July, 2013, Taipei, Taiwan
- Progress of Surface Texture Standardisation, Lamdamap 10th International Conference, 20th – 21 Mar. 2013, Kavli Royal Society International Centre, Buckinghamshire, UK (Invited Speech)
- Freeform and structured surfaces: Metrology challenges, Asia Paccific Conference on Optics Manufacturing, 26th –28th August, 2012, Changchun, China
- Technological shifts in surface metrology, 62nd General Assembly of International Academy for Production Engineering (CIRP) 19th ]25th August 2012, Hong Kong
- Paradigm shifts in surface metrology, the 37th International MATADOR Conference, 25th – 27th July 2012, Manchester, UK
- Challenges in precision, metrology Satellite Meeting on Precision Metrology, 14th – 15th July 2011, The Kavli Royal Society International Centre, Chicheley Hall, Buckinghamshire
- Freeform/structured Surface Characterisation, the 10th International Symposium on Measurement Technology and Intelligent Instruments, ISMTII 2011, 29 June - 2 July 2011, KAIST, Daejeon, Korea
- A Novel Concept for Freeform Surface Evaluation, the 13th International Conference on Metrology and Properties of Engineering Surfaces, 12th - 15th April 2011, Twickenham, UK
- Precision Surface Measurement, Royal Society Scientific Discussion Meeting “Ultra Precision Engineering: From Physics to Manufacturing”, 21 – 22 March 2011, The Royal Society, London
- The evolution of surfaces and their measurement. In: The 9th International Symposium on Measurement Technology and Intelligent Instruments (ISMTII-2009), 29 June - 2 July 2009, Saint-Petersburg, Russia
- Next Generation Surface Metrology: Structured and Freeform Surfaces", in Asia Pacific Conference on Optics Manufacture 2007 (APCOM 2007), , 11th -13th January, 2007 Hong Kong
- Metrology of MST and micro structure devices, Freeform Optics, 12th ~15th April, 2006, Hong Kong
- An Internationalization Strategy for China's Manufacturing Industry and Technical Standards, International Manufacturing Leaders Forum (IMLF 2005), 27 Feb.-2 Mar. 2005, Adelaide, Australia
- Innovative Concepts in Nanometrology (1), The 6th International Conference on Frontiers of Design and Manufacturing, 21st-23rd June 2004, Xi’an China
- Innovative Concepts in Nanometrology (2), The Second international Symposium on Precision Mechanical Measurements, 24th-28th August 2004, Beijing, China
- Recent Advances in Measurement and Characterization of Micro and Nano-scale Surface Roughness, Annual Japan Society of Precision Engineering, Sep. 2004, Shimane, Japan
- Surface Metrology and Standardisation, International Bearing Industry Exhibition for China, 14th-17th Dec. 2003, Shanghai, China
- Advances in micro and nano-scale surface metrology, the 6th International Symposium on Measurement Technology and Intelligent Instruments, 28th Nov.-1st Dec. 2003, Hong Kong, China
- The International Standard System and Framework of GPS, Annual meeting of Chinese GPS Standard Committee 2003, Beijing, China
- Review of the next generation GPS, the 2nd International Symposium on Instrumentation Science and Technology, 18th-22nd August 2002, Jinan, China
- The progress in surface texture, the 2nd International Symposium on Instrumentation Science and Technology, 18th-22nd August 2002, Jinan, China
- A Review of European Commission Funded Projects in Surface Texture, ISO/TC 213 12th Plenary Meeting, Feb. 2002, Madrid, Spain
- Novel Techniques for the Measurement, Identification and Classification of Microscopic Surfaces, IEE Lecture, 5th Dec 2001
- Wavelet framework for surface analysis, The Fourth International Symposium of Measurement technology and intelligent instruments, 2nd -4th Sept. 1998, University of Miskolc, Miskolc
- Surface Characterisation: Its history and future, the Fourth International Symposium of Measurement technology and intelligent instruments, 2nd -4th Sept. 1998, University of Miskolc, Miskolc
- Significance and development of ultra-precision surface measuring technology, Annual Conference of the Metrology Engineering, 15 May 1994
Research Degree Supervision
Surface and Precision Metrology is the scientific investigation of ultra precision and micro/nano scale surface measurement, the development of methods for measuring these surfaces, and characterising and modelling of their measured data. Discovering the surface behaviour and creating methods to diagnose, monitor, and predict surface properties and functionalities are my main research interests, which I would like to train and supervise PhD students.
The candidate should have good scientific curiosity and considerable background in physics, or mathematics, or engineering science, or decent hands-on experiences in instrument design, surface measurement and machine tools. The five aspect subjects are as follows: