Dr Melanie Rogers
firstname.lastname@example.org | 01484 471090
RGN, DIP N, Dip A&E, Dip Counselling, Dip Women’s Health
MSc Nurse Practitioner in Primary Care,
PGCE & Post Grad Certificate Health Professional Education,
Fellow HEA and Queens Nurse
I joined the University in 1998 and am currently a Course Leader and Senior Lecturer in the Division of Health and Rehabilitation. I am also an Advanced Nurse Practitioner in Primary Care. I have fulfilled many varied roles at the University.
Teaching and academic responsibilities
Advanced Practice, Primary care, Women’s Health, Mental Health and Spirituality.
Module Leader on:
- HMH 1064 Clinical Sciences and Clinical Skills 1
- HMH 1065 Clinical Sciences and Clinical Skills 2
- HMH 1024 Mental Health Matters for Advanced Practitioners
- HMH 1060 Introduction Clinical Examination and Assessment Skills
- HHH2006/HMH 2004 Cervical Screening
- HMH 2032 Introduction to Managing Minor Illness
Lecturer also on:
- HMH 2022 Independent and Supplementary Prescribing
- HMS 2010 Mental Health in Practice
- HMH 2018 Policy and Advanced Professional Practice
Research and Scholarship
- My PhD was completed in 2015: A Hermeneutic Enquiry into the spiritual dimensions of Advanced Nurse Practitioner (ANP) consultations through the lens of availability and vulnerability. I have an active interest in Spirituality and am the founder and chair of the Spirituality in Health and Social Care group at the University of Huddersfield as well as being a committee member of the British Association of the Study of Spirituality scholars network.
- I have worked with a team from the University of Huddersfield, Leeds Beckett University and Health Education Yorks and Humber undertaking research about 'team climate' and how ANPs integrate into clinical practice teams.
- I undertook a research project with the University of Melbourne looking at 'Therapeutic Optimism' in ANPs in their role with patients with mental health problems which showed that ANPs optimism impacts the care of patients with mental health problems after taking a module in mental health problems in primary care.
- I worked to develop a research project with a Visiting Professor from Thailand looking at Advanced Nurse Practitioners in the UK and Thailand.
- I have a specialist interest in Women’s Health and produced a training DVD for Gynaecological History Taking and Examination Skills and online resource on Abnormal Uterine Bleeding with clinical colleagues which was nominated for a primary care award. Our group was awarded a £15,000 education grant to develop these resources.
- I wasthe Chair and founder of the Yorkshire Nurse Practitioner Forum which had over 150 members across the region and provided Continuing Professional Development (CPD) and networking opportunities for ANPs for 16 years.
- I have been a ccommittee member with the Association of Advanced Practitioner Educators
- In 2009 I was awarded the Queens Nurse title and I work closely with the QNI to promote the role of Advanced Practitioners in Primary Care.
- I have a number of publicationson Mental Health, Women’s Health, Advanced Practice, Spirituality and Education.
- I have collaborated internationally to research Job Satisfaction of Nurse Practitioners in Developed and Developing Countries.
- I have undertaken Participatory Methods research with SWYPFT and the Yorkshire Sculpture Park
- I am currently involved nationally in a Learning Outcomes research project with 5 Universities.
- I chaired the practice sub group of the ICN Np/APN Network
- Chair of the International Council of Nurses Nurse Practitioner/Advanced Practice Nurse Network
- Journal Reviewer Primary Health Care
- Journal Reviewer Journal of Community Nursing
- Book Reviewer Oxford University Press
- Book Reviewer M&K Publications
- Book Reviewer Taylor and Francis Publishers
- External Examiner experience in a number of HE institutions
- Finalist Mediplex NHS Innovation Award
- Finalist Primary Care Women’s Health Forum Best Practice Award
- Queens Nurse
- RCN Assessor for Advanced Practice Credentialing
Research Degree Supervision
- Advanced Nurse Practitioner and Advanced Clinical Practitioner
- Mental Health
- Women's Health
- Primary Care
- Long Term Conditions
- Work Force Planning
Postgraduate research opportunities with Dr Melanie Rogers
- Advanced Nurse Practitioner/Advanced Clinical Practitioner (PhD full-time 2017-18 entry)
- Advanced Nurse Practitioner/Advanced Clinical Practitioner (MSc by Research part-time 2017-18 entry)
- Advanced Nurse Practitioner/Advanced Clinical Practitioner (MSc by Research full-time 2017-18 entry)
- Advanced Nurse Practitioner/Advanced Clinical Practitioner (PhD part-time 2017-18 entry)
- Primary Care (PhD full-time 2017-18 entry)
- Primary Care (MSc by Research full-time 2017-18 entry)
- Primary Care (MSc by Research part-time 2017-18 entry)
- Primary Care (PhD part-time 2017-18 entry)
- Spirituality in health and social care (PhD full-time 2017-18 entry)
- Spirituality in health and social care (PhD part-time 2017-18 entry)
- Spirituality in health and social care (MSc by Research full-time 2017-18 entry)
- Spirituality in health and social care (MSc by Research part-time 2017-18 entry)