When does enrolment start?

Your online enrolment starts 4 January 2021 with induction from 11 January 2021.

You will need to have completed all the steps below (pre-enrolment, immigration checks, online enrolment) by the deadline if you wish to be a student with the University.

You must be ‘enrolled online’ by the date shown below so that you can access your lectures and timetable remotely (you may still be outside the UK at this point).

The University will be in touch with you later to confirm when you’ll be able to attend classes on campus and to advise you on how to collect your campus card.

The enrollment deadlines are shown below by School. This is the date you must be “enrolled online” so that you can access your lectures and timetable remotely (you may still be outside the UK at this point or in self isolation).

SchoolFinal Date to Be Enrolled Online
School of Art, Design & Architecture 12 February
Huddersfield Business School:
Masters Programmes (MSc/MA)
12 February
Huddersfield Business School:
Top-up’s (BA/BSc)
29 January
School of Computing & Engineering 
School of Human & Health Sciences
School of Education & Professional Development
School of Applied Sciences
1 February
PhD Students 1 February

Information for Nursing students: Nursing programmes are still being taught on campus, therefore if you are starting a nursing programme from January, you will need to be enrolled online by the 1 February and in the UK, ready to start your course by the 15 February. When making plans to travel, please remember that you will need to provide a negative COVID-19 test before flying to the UK and then self-isolate for 10 days upon arrival, so you must ensure that your travel plans take this into account.

If you are unable to be in the UK, ready to start your course by the 15 February, it is important that you do not travel but contact the International Office and we will advise you on the next steps.


What are the different stages of enrolment?

If you are a student that started your programme in September 2020, the guidance may be different, depending on the course you are studying. You must be engaging online, but are not expected back onto campus until further notice.

Please ensure that you are checking your student email for updates from the University and/or checking the information at the Student FAQ webpage.

Pre-enrol>Immigration checks>Enrol online>Collect your student ID card.

You must have received an Unconditional Offer before you start the enrolment journey. Your online learning can now start as you are enrolled onto our online learning environment.   The next step will be to collect your campus card when the University campus reopens and we will be in contact with you later to provide you with further advice on this.


What are the travel rules

Currently, people travelling to the UK have to show proof of a negative Covid-19 test before setting off. This may be taken up to three days before your journey begins. If your test result is positive, you must not travel. If you arrive in England without proof of a negative test result, you could be fined £500. Border Force officials are carrying out spot checks. 

Even with the new testing requirements, you must still self-isolate for 10 days, regardless of your pre-departure test result and country you are flying in from, all travel exemption corridors are currently suspended.

The travel rules are continually being assessed by the UK Government so please keep checking the Government website.

Anyone arriving in England from 15 February will need to either:

  • Self-isolate in the place they’re staying for 10 days, or
  • Quarantine in a government approved hotel for 10 days.

What you need to do depends on where you have been in the 10 days before you arrive in England and further information on this is available here.

You must also get 2 coronavirus tests after you arrive in England which you’ll need to book before you travel.

Further information on these new rules can be found on the UK Government's How to Quarantine Guide.

It is really important that you stay up to date with the latest travel guidance as failure to do so may result in heavy penalties from the UK Government and all the updated information can be found on the Government website as above.

International Study Centre (ISC) students

If you have successfully completed a course with the Centre and are coming onto a University degree programme, you MUST complete pre-enrolment again and update any details before we can enrol you again.

Pre-enrolment What is this?

Pre-enrolment is where you will be asked to update your personal details for the University and upload a photo for your student campus card. Before we can enrol you, you will need to complete pre-enrolment online. You can only do this once you have received your Unconditional Offer from the University. If you do not have an unconditional offer you cannot pre-enrol.

I’ve received my Unconditional Offer, now what do I do?

You will be sent an email with a link to the University’s pre-enrolment portal. Follow this link to start pre-enrolment.

I’ve not received a link to the pre-enrolment portal

We may not have got your personal email address. Also check your junk/spam folder. If not, check with your agent or regional office contact if they have received the email on your behalf.

How do I log into pre-enrolment?

Username: This is your student number, for example u1234567.
Password: This is your date of birth (use this format 19feb98). This is case sensitive.

If you need any help with logging in, you can email the University's IT Support.

Step 1: It is essential that you upload a head and shoulder photo of yourself in jpeg format for your student ID card. Without this you cannot be enrolled at the University

Step 2: ‘My details’ - You must update your term-time address (if you will be in the UK in January use your UK address, if you will be arriving later use your home address for now) and personal details including your email address and mobile number. This step may take several minutes so please make sure you answer as much as you can and go through to the end.

Step 3: Click on this step and read ‘Information for international students’ section – that’s it. 

Watch our video to help you complete pre-enrolment.

I’ve completed pre-enrolment, now what do I do?

Within 24-hours you will receive an email from the University’s immigration team from a mailbox called: international.updates@hud.ac.uk with some questions. Please carefully answer all these questions and submit it as soon as possible.

I’ve completed the immigration check, what happens next?

Please allow 3-5 working days for these immigration checks to be processed. We will NOT contact you to let you know this check has been completed but we may ask you for more information if we need it. When we have completed the immigration check, you will be passed for enrolment.

How do I know when I have been enrolled?

From 4 January 2021 you will receive an email from the University to confirm your online enrolment. 


Why have I not received confirmation of my enrolment?

Please check your junk/spam folder. Do we have a valid email address for you? If not, please check with your agent or regional office, they may have received the email on your behalf. It may be that our immigration team are still waiting for details from you.


I am enrolled, how do I complete induction, access my timetable?

When we email you to confirm your enrolment, you will receive a link to a Quick-start Guide and your virtual learning experience including access to online induction, timetables and to activate your new University IT account. Induction will start 11 January 2021.


How do I log onto my virtual learning experience?

You can only do this once your enrolment has been confirmed.

Username: Student Number as above, for example u1234567@unimail.hud.ac.uk or u1234567@pgr.hud.ac.uk
Password: This is your date of birth (use this format ddmmmyy for example: 01jan00 or 19feb98). This is case sensitive.

You will be asked to change your password.

Why can’t I see my timetable?

You can only do this once your enrolment has been confirmed.

Please email your School Support Office for advice on this.


I have enrolled but am still overseas, what do I do when I arrive in the UK?

When you arrive in the UK, your visa will be stamped at the airport. Please email a copy of your stamped visa to the immigration team. We must see a copy of your stamped visa before you receive your campus card. Please include your student number in the email.

At this point in time, the UK is in a national lockdown and therefore the University campus is closed. If you arrive in the UK during this time, you are still able to access your course via our online learning as previously described but please do not try and access the campus.  We will be in touch with you as soon as the campus is open again and arrange for you to collect your campus ID card.


How do I collect my student ID card?

As the University campus is currently closed, with most courses being delivered remotely and all the course materials that you need to access available through your student portal online, campus cards are not routinely available if you have arrived in the UK.

They are being issued for certain courses only and where there is an exceptional need to access campus facilities. If you feel this applies to you, please contact the International Office stating what course you are on and/or why you need to be on campus.

If you are currently living outside of Huddersfield, then it is against the national lockdown regulations in force in the UK to either leave or be outside of your home, except where necessary. Further information on the national lockdown regulations can be found on the UK Government website. If you are not in Huddersfield, then you must wait until the travel restrictions have eased before moving to a local address and, once campus has re-opened, we will then provide you with a campus card.

Information on the current situation and how this impacts on you as a student can be found on the University website and we would strongly recommend that you visit this page often so that you are aware of the most up to date advice available.

If you have not yet arrived, there is no need to worry. Once campus is re-open, you will collect your student ID card from the International Office in Student Central Building. Further information on this will be available in due course when campus reopens and you can attend classes in person.


I am worried I have missed lectures and teaching, what should I do?

All lectures are recorded on the University’s ‘Lecture Capture’ system and available through your virtual learning experience so you can catch up. Your tutors or Supervisor will help you with this when you start at the University. Please email your School Support Office for advice on this.


Need a letter? 

Once you are enrolled at the University you can create, download/print your own student letters using MyHud.

  • Bank Account letter: this is to help you open a UK bank account.
  • A proof of study letter: to confirm your enrolment.
  • Council Tax certificate: available to full-time students only (exemptions may apply).

How you do it? 
Log into MyHud > Quick links > My details 
In this screen find the section called ‘Documents’. Select your letter and download.


Where can I get useful information before I leave for the UK?

We have a dedicated page to help you plan your arrangements.


How do I contact the International Office?

You can talk to us on Zoom. Details are on our COVID FAQ's page.