The University offers a range of exciting opportunities to study and work abroad.  Within Europe, the University is part of Erasmus+, the European Commission’s Exchange programme that enables students in 31 European countries to study, work or teach for part of their degree in another country.

Where can I study?
How do I apply?
Who do I contact?
Fees and Finance
ERASMUS+ Traineeship Grant


Where can I study?


Students on selected courses have the opportunity to study abroad for either one term or a full year. Below is a list of the University’s Erasmus+ partner institutions by subject area.  Have a look at the list to find out the study abroad opportunities available.  

Currently, the Schools offering Erasmus study opportunities are Business, Music, Humanities and Media, Human and Health Sciences and Art, Design and Architecture.

We have chosen our partner universities because they offer modules taught in English so you will not require prior knowledge of the language in order to take part in an Erasmus study exchange*. However, you’ll be living your daily life in another language, so you’ll learn and develop your linguistic skills. You may want to take a beginner course, or brush up before you go away with a University of Huddersfield language course.

*The only exception is the opportunity for Year 3 Music students to study at UFC, Besancon. Students require a good level of French equivalent to B2 in the Common European Framework of Reference for language (CEFR).

How do I apply?


Step 1

Consult the list of Erasmus opportunities available and carry out your own research on the University and country.

Step 2

Speak to your Erasmus academic contact (see table) about your eligibility and the School’s selection process. 

Every department has its own internal selection process. Your Erasmus academic contact will explain this to you.  

Step 3

Complete the University of Huddersfield’s Erasmus Application form. Send the completed form to your Erasmus academic contact. If you are selected for a place, your academic contact will let you know and will inform the International Office that they are happy to nominate you.

Step 4

Complete the host university’s application form

If your School is happy to nominate you for a place, the University will contact the host university to confirm your nomination. 

Once you have been nominated, your host university will be in touch to confirm their own application procedures and deadlines. These can vary from one university to another.  If you are worried that you haven’t heard from them, get in touch with your Erasmus academic contact/Erasmus administrative contact.

Step 5

Complete the Learning Agreement

While you are abroad you are expected to take modules equivalent to those you would have taken had you remained in Huddersfield.   You will need to work with your Course Leader (and in some cases the academic contact at the host institution) to research and find suitable modules at the partner university that are  good matches for those you are missing here. You will need to complete a Learning Agreement (provided by your School) in order to confirm those modules. This must be signed by you, your Erasmus academic contact and the responsible person at the host university. It must be completed before your study exchange begins.

Step 6

Complete Bank Details (BACS) Form

Your Erasmus academic contact/administrative contact will provide you with the Bank Details form.

Step 7

Complete the Erasmus Grant Paperwork

Once the International Office receives confirmation that you have been accepted by the host university and they receive your completed Learning Agreement and bank details form from the School, they will send you the following paperwork required in order to receive the Erasmus grant (see ‘Fees and Finance’ section for information on grant):    

  1. Grant Agreement – Must be completed before your study exchange
  2. Certificate of arrival – Must be sent to the International Office as soon as you arrive.
  3. Certificate of attendance – Must be sent to the International Office on completion of your study exchange. 

The grant is paid in two instalments of 80% on arrival (subject to receipt of certificate of arrival) and 20% on completion (subject to receipt of certificate of attendance and completion of online Erasmus report).


Who do I contact?


Erasmus academic and administrative contacts for each School are listed below:

Business School

Erasmus Administrative Contact: The Business School’s Administrative contact’s details will be published here soon. In the meantime, please contact the International Office:

Erasmus Academic Contacts:

Economics: Sofia Izquierdo Sanchez

Travel and Tourism Management, Supply Chain Management, Transport and Logistics Management and Air Transport and Logistics Management:  Nick Hubbard

Law:  Alexia Place

Business Management, Business Studies:  Ruth Brooks

All other business courses:  Your course leader.

Music, Humanities and Media

Erasmus Academic Contacts:

Music and Drama:   Emily Worthington     

English Literature:      David Rudrum

English Language, Linguistics and Modern Language:   Liz Holt

History:    Rebecca Gill

Human and Health Sciences

Erasmus Administrative Contact:  Eszter McIntyre

Erasmus Academic Contact:  Peter Woodcock     

Art, Design and Architecture

Erasmus Administrative Contact: Please see Academic Contact

Erasmus Academic Contacts:  Ioanni Delsante       

International Office

If you have any enquiries about the information provided here, please contact your School or the International Office by email: or by telephone at 01484 472383.

Alternatively, come to the International Office, Level 4, Student Central and speak to our International Student Support Advisors.


Fees and Finance


If you take part in a term long study exchange, you will continue to pay your tuition fees as usual. 

If your study exchange is a full academic year in length, you will be exempt from paying your tuition fee for your study abroad year. 

Students who are studying abroad (or working abroad on an Erasmus placement) and who receive support from Student Finance England, Student Finance Northern Ireland or Student Finance Wales may be eligible for a Travel Grant. The amount you can receive will depend on your household income and your travel costs.  For further details, read the Travel Grants guidance.  

The Erasmus Study exchange monthly grant rate varies from year to year and has not yet been announced by the British Council for 2017/18.  The grant rate for students carrying out study exchanges in 2016/17 is 280 or 330 Euros, depending on the country’s cost of living category.  The International Office will update this information as soon as this has been announced.  

ERASMUS+ Traineeship Grant


Erasmus work opportunities are available in Business, Art, Design and Architecture, Computing and Engineering, Applied Sciences and Music, Humanities and Media.

For more information, please contact your School’s placement unit. They will inform you of the correct forms to complete in order to apply for the Erasmus Traineeship Grant.  

For further resources on studying abroad, check out the Careers Service’s Work and Study Abroad webpage.


Erasmus HE Charter

The University of Huddersfield has been awarded the ERASMUS+ Charter for the Erasmus+ programme 2014-2021 and the Erasmus Policy Statement sets out our institutional strategy in relation to the Charter.