The University Council is the principal decision-making body in the University. Its responsibilities are for the determination of the educational character and purpose of the University, for oversight of its activities and to ensure financial solvency. The Council membership is made up of lay (external) members, staff representatives and a Students' Union nominee, and meetings take place on a quarterly basis.
The Terms of Reference and Code of Conduct for Members defines the role of University Council in accordance with the University's Instrument and Articles of Government .
The relationship between the Council and its committees is shown in the Committee Structure Chart.
Committee terms of reference
University Council Committees
- Audit Committee - to establish and review procedures for auditing the University's activities.
- Remuneration Committee- to establish and review the process of remuneration of senior staff contract holders.
Joint Senate and Council Committees
- Estates Development Committee - to provide the Senior Management Team with advice and guidance on the strategic operational management of the University's estate.
- Governance and Membership Committee - to make recommendations for effective governance arrangements and the appointment of University Council and commitee members.
- Honorary Awards Committee - to establish and review the processes for the nomination and conferment of honorary awards.
Please click on Committee Membership to find out which Council and Committee members are on the above committees.