University of Huddersfield Logo

Student Travel in Europe and Elsewhere Outside the UK

Once you have enrolled as a research student you may wish to travel in mainland Europe or elsewhere in the world to attend a conference, gather research data, or simply for leisure. You can find out whether you need a visa for your visit by consulting the website for the UK embassy of the particular country you want to visit (there is a list of these on the Foreign and Commonwealth Office website). The embassy's website will tell you whether people of your nationality need to apply for visas before travelling to that country.

If the website says that you need a 'Schengen visa', look at these frequently asked questions about Schengen visas on the website of the UK Council for International Student Affairs.

If you find that you have to apply for visa and need proof that you are a student then staff in the Student Centre will be able to provide you with assistance.

How long will the application take?

Applications should be made as early as possible, in case there are any unexpected delays in processing the application. Some countries require both that you make the application in person, and go and collect your passport once the visa is approved, so you will need to think ahead about any possible trips that you would like to make within Europe.

You should check that your current UK student immigration permission will allow you to return to the UK after your trip. Most Schengen countries insist that your immigration permission to be in the UK should last for a certain period after you return from your trip. Some countries insist on as long as six months.

Last updated Wednesday 21 March 2012
Thank you for your feedback.

Your feedback has been sent to the University Web/Digital Marketing Team.

VAT registration number 516 3101 90

All rights reserved ©