Stylistics Research Centre
Welcome to the Stylistics Research Centre at the University of Huddersfield.
The Centre provides a focal point for research and pedagogy in stylistics (the linguistic analysis of style in literary and non-literary discourse), one of the key research areas of Linguistics and Modern Languages at Huddersfield. We have an international reputation for our work in stylistics and are recognised for the applied focus of our research. We regularly welcome visiting scholars and have, at any one time, around 20 PhD students based the centre.
Our approach to stylistics is inclusive and encompasses the analysis of both literary and non-literary discourse from a perspective that places stylistics firmly within the discipline of linguistics. Our areas of specific expertise include the following:
- Cognitive stylistics
- Corpus stylistics
- Critical stylistics
- Historical stylistics
- Literary stylistics
- Pedagogical stylistics
- Pragmatic stylistics
In order to develop and sustain research in all of the above areas of stylistics, we:
- Carry out research, in particular through internally and externally funded group projects
- Run international and national conferences in stylistics
- Supervise research students
- Provide training events for A-level teachers
- Work with third sector organisations
- Publish monographs, textbooks and journal articles
- Run research seminars
- Give talks at other HE institutions in the UK and abroad
On these pages you will find information about staff in the centre, our work and publications, conferences organised by the centre and opportunities for postgraduate study.
Postgraduate students play a significant role in success of the Stylistics Research Centre and we are always keen to attract new students to come and work with us. Find out more about the courses we offer.