Mr Kris Christmann
firstname.lastname@example.org | 01484 473222
Qualifications: BSc, MA, MA, Pg Cert. SSRM, FHEA.
I am an applied criminologist and Research Fellow at the Applied Criminology Centre (ACC) at the University of Huddersfield. I have 15 years of research experience, primarily for a range of Central Government clients as well as Local Government and third sector customers and other funders (the EU, and various research councils). This has included work in many areas of the CJS (Prisons, Youth Secure Estate, Police Custody Suites, Courts, Police computer forensics departments, Probation Service, YOTs. etc.).
My main research interests include the study of radicalisation; counter-terrorism; and hate crime (for clients such as the: Youth Justice Board, Office for Security and Counter Terrorism, the Home Office, and the European Union's Fundamental Rights Agency). My other research interests include offender management and desistance (for various clients) and the welfare of children of prisoners (EU). I am currently undertaking a part time PhD entitled: 'State Repression of Political Dissent: An examination of the Policing of three International Summit Protest Events in the UK'.
Myself and ACC colleagues have recently completed research in counter terrorism for the EU (DG Move - Directorate-General for Mobility and Transport) examining how to protect large, multi-modal transport hubs across Europe from terrorist attack as well as from serious crime (more information). The suite of reports delivered are currently being studied by commissioners and it is anticipated that some of this material will be published in the near future, by DG Move and also in academic outputs by ourselves.
Research and Scholarship
University research group memberships
I am currently a member of the Institute for Research in Citizenship and Applied Human Sciences and the Applied Criminology Centre.
- Radicalisation (the causes of radicalisation; the effectiveness of interventions with 'at risk groups' and radicalised individuals);
- Hate crime offending and hate crime policy;
- Offender resettlement and desistance;
- Repression Research;
- The unintended consequences of the criminal justice system.
In addition, I am interested in a number of conceptual and normative issues in the area where moral, legal and political philosophy intersect–particularly, obedience, authority, legitimacy, obligation, coercion, and privacy.
Selected research projects:
- Preventing Violent Extremism (YJB)
- Youth Gun Crime and Gang Involvement
- The Prevalence of Racially Motivated Offending and Provision of Targeted Interventions (YJB)
- Wakefield Hate Crime Victim Support Needs (Wakefield Metropolitan Council)
- Offender Resettlement Utilising Case Management Approach (Manchester Community Safety Partnership)
- Evaluation of ‘Step-On’ Short-term Prisoner Resettlement Initiative: (GONW )
(For a list of published outputs see research outputs)
- Robertson, O., Christmann, K., Sharratt, K., Berman, A.H., Manby, M., Elizabeth Ayre, E., Foca, L., Asiminei, R., Philbrick, K., and Gavriluta, C. (2015) Children of prisoners: Their situation and role in long-term crime prevention, in Helmut Kury and Slawomir Redo (eds.) “Women and Children as Victims and Offenders: Background – Prevention – Reintegration: Suggestions for succeeding generations”, Springer
- Monro, S, Christmann, K., Gibbs, G. & Monchuk, L. The Role of Public Authorities and Professionals in Supporting and Promoting the Fundamental Rights of LGBT Persons in the EU. European Union Agency for Fundamental Rights
- Christmann, K (2015) ’Paris Attacks: How does a city protect its people?’ The Conversation, Nov 19th 2015.
Selected conference presentations:
- Invited Plenary Speaker to United States Institute of Peace, Washington DC (22-23 July, 2015) conference on 'Evidence for CVE (Combating Violent Extremism): Advancing Community Based Approaches' (event organised by the United State Institute of Peace (USIP), the United States Department of State, and the United States Agency for International Development).
- Invited to present recent hate crime research findings at a national workshop event organised by Stop Hate UK at Leeds City Hall, 24 July 2015 (with K. Wong).
- Policy Exchange Conference: 'Prevention, Protection, Prosecution: The Next Steps to Tackling Hate Crime in Every Community', 20th May 2015, London. Hate Crime Reporting: Bridging the gap between aspiration and implementation (with K. Wong).
- Invited attendee to the Centre for Crime and Justice studies roundtable workshop to examine ‘Racism & justice: Using research to hold the state to account’ (2015) (in light of the forthcoming statutory inquiry into undercover policing).
- Kirklees and Calderdale Research Seminar: EDL (English Defence League) 'Understanding Concerns about Community Relations: Overview of emerging findings' (with P. Thomas, M. Rogerson, J. Busher, and; G. Macklin).
- Invited delegate to the United Nations in Geneva to a ‘Special Day of Discussion on the ‘Rights of Children who have a Parent in Prison’ (22 November 2011).
- Invited attendee PREVENT Research Seminar, Office for Security and Counter-Terrorism (Social and Behavioural Research Unit) (23 March 2010).
Publications and Other Research Outputs
Christmann, K. and Sharratt, K. (2015) i-HOPs Quality Assessment Tool for research and evidence around Children of Offenders Barnados / University of Huddersfield: Barnados / University of Huddersfield
Christmann, K. and Sharratt, K. (2015) i-HOP Guidebook: Using the Quality Assessment Tool for research concerning Children of Offenders Barnados / University of Huddersfield: Barnados / University of Huddersfield
Christmann, K. and Sharratt, K. (2015) i-HOPs Quality Assessment Tool and Guidebook An Introduction Barnados / University of Huddersfield: Barnados / University of Huddersfield
Thomas, P., Busher, J., Macklin, G., Rogerson, M. and Christmann, K. (2015) ‘Understanding Concerns about Community Relations’ Identity papers: A journal of British and Irish studies , 1 (1), pp. 67-78. ISSN 2058-6205
Busher, J., Christmann, K., Macklin, G., Rogerson, M. and Thomas, P. (2015) Understanding Concerns about Community Relations in Calderdale Huddersfield: University of Huddersfield
Thomas, P., Rogerson, M., Macklin, G., Christmann, K. and Busher, J. (2015) Understanding Concerns about Community Relations in Kirklees Huddersfield: Univesrity of Huddersfield
Christmann, K (2013) ‘Arresting development?’ Police Professional (380), pp. 20-21.
Christmann, K (2013) ‘Arrested development?’ Justice for Children of Prisoners Newsletters: Police, Judges and Sentencing (3), pp. 6-7.
Jones, A., Gallagher, B., Manby, M., Robertson, O., Schützwohl, M., Berman, A., Hirschfield, A., Ayre, L., Urban, M., Sharratt, K. and Christmann, K. (2013) Children of Prisoners: Interventions and mitigations to strengthen mental health . Huddersfield: University of Huddersfield. ISBN 9781862181168
Wong, K., Christmann, K., Meadows, L., Albertson, K. and Senior, P. (2013) Hate Crime in Suffolk: Understanding prevalence and support needs Sheffield: Sheffield Hallam University/University of Huddersfield
Christmann, K., Turliuc, M. and M?irean, C. (2012) ‘Risk and Resilience in Children of Prisoners: A Research Review’ Scientific Annals of the Alexandru Ioan Cuza University - Sociology and Social Work Section , 5 (2). ISSN 2065-3131
Hirschfield, A., Christmann, K., Wilcox, A., Rogerson, M. and Sharratt, K. (2012) Process Evaluation of Preventing Violent Extremism Programmes for Young People Youth Justice Board
Christmann, K (2012) Preventing Religious Radicalisation and Violent Extremism: A Systematic Review of the Research Evidence Youth Justice Board
Smithson, H., Wilcox, A., Monchuk, L., Christmann, K. and Wong, K. (2011) ‘The prevalence of youth racially motivated offending: What do we really know?’ Probation Journal , 58 (3), pp. 233-249. ISSN 0264-5505
Wilcox, A., Smithson, H., Christmann, K., Monchuk, L. and Wong, K. (2010) Racially motivated offending and targeted interventions London: Youth Justice Board for England and Wales
Christmann, K. and Wong, K. (2010) ‘Hate Crime Victims and Hate Crime Reporting: Some Impertinent Questions’. In: Hate Crime: Concepts, policy, future directions. Abingdon: Willan Publishing. . ISBN 978-1-84392-779-2
Wilcox, A., Christmann, K., Rogerson, M. and Birch, P. (2009) Tackling the Demand for Prostitution: A Rapid Evidence Assessment of the published research literature Home Office
Wong, K. and Christmann, K. (2009) ‘The Role of Victim Decision Making in Reporting of Hate Crimes’ Community Safety Journal , 7 (2), pp. 19-35. ISSN 1757-8043
Smithson, H., Christmann, K., Armitage, R., Monchuk, L., Whitehead, A. and Rogerson, M. (2009) Young Peoples Involvement in Gangs and Guns in Liverpool University of Huddersfield
Wilcox, A. and Christmann, K. (2008) ‘Getting paid for sex is my kick: a qualitative study of male sex workers’. In: Sex as Crime?. London, UK: Willan Publishing. pp. 118-136. ISBN 978-1-84392-267-4
Rogerson, M. and Christmann, K. (2007) ‘Burglars and wardrobe monsters. Practical and ethical problems in the reduction of crime fear’ British Journal of Community Justice , 5 (1), pp. 79-94. ISSN 1475-0279
Wilcox, A. and Christmann, K. (2006) Sex for sale: qualitative study of male sex workers Huddersfield, UK: University of Huddersfield (Unpublished)
Gallagher, B., Fraser, C., Christmann, K. and Hodgson, B. (2006) International and internet child sexual abuse and exploitation Huddersfield, UK: University of Huddersfield
Christmann, K. and Rogerson, M. (2004) Crime, fear of crime and quality of life: Identifying and Responding to Problems Research Report 35 Sheffield: CRESR
Rogerson, M., Christmann, K. and Walters, D. (2003) Fear of Crime and Insecurity in New Deal for Communities CRESR
Gallagher, B., Christmann, K., Fraser, C. and Hodgson, B. (2003) ‘International and internet child sexual abuse and exploitation - issues emerging from research’ Child and Family Law Quarterly , 15 (4), pp. 353-371. ISSN 1358-8184
I have acted as peer reviewer for the following research grant councils and academic journals:
The Big Lottery Fund;
- ESRC Small and Large Grants Reviewer;
- The Journal of Military and Strategic Studies (JMSS);
- The British Journal of Community Safety.
I have given a number of interviews to local press (Huddersfield Examiner; Sheffield Star) and local and regional radio (BBC Leeds, Real Radio) and national radio to either discuss trends in crime data, hate crime policy and practice, or a range of other criminological topics. My last interview was just before the General Election for BBC 5 Live.
I have provided consultancy and expertise to a range of bodies and organisations including:
- Office for Security and Counter-Terrorism
- A number of Local County Council's regards hate crime and situational crime prevention
Research Degree Supervision
There are a number of research areas that I can supervise, these are broadly:
- The causes and process of radicalisation (political and religious radicalisation and violence); measures to prevent radicalisation (principally Prevent policy);
- Hate crime offending and prevalence, and hate crime policy and interventions;
- Offender management and desistance research;
Protest policing; the militarisation of policing; police deviance and criminality.
Teaching and Professional Activities
- HFB2003 Introduction to Criminology and Criminal Justice
- HFB2011 Myths and Realities of Crime
- HIB1024 Violent Crime
- HIB2000 Final Year project for the Social Sciences