Dr Jamie Halsall
email@example.com | 01484 473627
Jamie Halsall is Senior Lecturer in Social Sciences in the Department of Behavioural Sciences and Social Sciences at Huddersfield University. He joined the institution in September 2008 and also worked at Edge Hill University and Liverpool John Moores University as an Associate Tutor and Research Assistant respectively.
In 2003 Jamie gained a BA (Hons) degree in Geography from Edge Hill University. The following year he gained a Masters degree in the Geographies of Globalisation and Development. In 2010 he completed his Doctorate of Philosophy while studying at the University of Liverpool. His academic career has included research with the International Centre for Development and Environmental Studies (ICDES), which was based in the Department of Natural Applied Sciences at Edge Hill University. From 2004 to 2008 he was Editorial Assistant of Global Built Environment Review (GBER) an international journal (www.edgehill.ac.uk/gber).
Research and Scholarship
Jamies research interests lie in the field of Sociology of Community. In December 2011 Jamie co published a book with Ian Cook, Aging in Comparative Perspective: Processes and Policies, which was published by Springer Press. Jamie is currently a Stream Co-ordinator at the British Sociological Association for the Social Divisions/Social Identities. He is the Book Review and Conference Report Editor for the international journal, Global Built Environment Review (GBER).
Publications and Other Research Outputs
Powell, J. and Halsall, J. (2015) ‘Reconstructing Social Policy and Ageing’ World Scientific News , 7 (6), pp. 88-100. ISSN 2392-2192
Cook, I., Halsall, J. and Wankhade, P. (2015) Sociability, Social Capital, and Community Development . International Perspectives on Social Policy, Administration, and Practice. : Springer. ISBN 978-3-319-11483-5
Snowden, M. and Halsall, J. (2014) ‘Community Development: A Shift in Thinking Towards Heutagogy’ International journal of Multi Disciplianary Comparative Studies , 1 (3), pp. 81-91.
Halsall, J (2014) ‘The Re-invention of Sociology of Community’ International Review of Social Sciences and Humanities , 8 (1), pp. 91-98. ISSN 2248-9010
Snowden, M. and Halsall, J. (2014) ‘Community Development: A shift in thinking towards heautagogy’. In: International Conference: Multi Disciplinary and Comparative Studies, 4th-6th September 2014, University of Greenwich London
Wankhade, P., Cook, I. and Halsall, J. (2014) ‘Ethnic Minorities and their Health Needs: Crisis of Perception and Behaviours’ Illness, Crisis and Loss , 22 (2), pp. 145-158. ISSN 1054-1373
Halsall, J., Wankhade, P. and Cook, I. (2014) ‘The Big Society Debate: Is it a Panacea for Reducing the Impact of Welfare Cuts in Public Health?’ World Journal of Social Sciences , 4 (1), pp. 167-175. ISSN 1838-3785
Halsall, J (2014) ‘Foreword’ West European Muslims Post 9/11: Joint South Asian Cultural Studies & Global Built Environment Review special edition , p. 1. ISSN 1749-6764
Halsall, J., Wankhade, P. and Cook, I. (2013) ‘The Big Society in a Time of Crisis the Impact on Public Health’ Illness, Crisis and Loss , 21 (4), pp. 341-353. ISSN 1054-1373
Halsall, J (2013) ‘The problem with community cohesion’ International Journal of Society Systems Science , 5 (3), pp. 283-299. ISSN 1756-2511
Halsall, J., Oberoi, R., Cooke, I. and Wankhade, P. (2013) ‘Understanding Community Governance: A Global Perspective’ International Journal of Asian Social Science , 3 (5), pp. 1112-1127. ISSN 2226-5139
Halsall, J. and Cook, I. (2013) ‘Globalization Impacts on Chinese Politics and Urbanization’ Chinese Studies , 02 (02), pp. 84-88. ISSN 2168-5428
Cook, I., Gu, C. and Halsall, J. (2013) ‘Chinas Low Income Urban Housing’ Asian Social Science , 9 (3), pp. 7-17. ISSN 1911-2017
Halsall, J (2013) ‘Delivering Higher Education Policies within a Challenging Community’ Higher Education Studies , 3 (2), pp. 52-61. ISSN 1925-4741
Halsall, J., Gifford, C. and Gill, S. (2013) ‘The UKs ad hoc Multiculturalism and the Re-assertion of Britishness’. In: Diversity, Intercultural Encounters, and Education. London, UK: Routledge. . ISBN 9780415638333
Cook, I., GU, C. and Halsall, J. (2013) ‘Chinas Growing Urban Health Inequalities: The Challenges Ahead’ Journal of Management and Sustainability , 3 (2), pp. 10-18. ISSN 1925-4725
Halsall, J (2013) Understanding Ethnic Segregation in Contemporary Britain . European Economic and Political Issues; Social Issues, Justice and Status. New York, USA: Nova Science Publishers. ISBN 978-1-62808-756-7
Halsall, J (2013) ‘Book Review: Understanding Development By Paul Hopper Published by: Polity ISBN: 978-0-7456-3895-9’ Global Built Environment Review , 8 (2), pp. 103-104. ISSN 1474-6824
Halsall, J (2012) ‘Community Governance Where did it all go Wrong?’ Journal of Administration and Governance JOAAG , 7 (2), pp. 1-8. ISSN 1834-352X
Halsall, J (2012) ‘Theorising the relationship between racial segregation and rioting’ International Journal of Business and General Management , 1 (2), pp. 75-89. ISSN 2319-2267
Crines, A. and Halsall, J. (2012) ‘Remoulding Welfare Britain: The Philosophy of the Big Society in Camerons Britain’ Public Policy and Administration Research , 2 (7). ISSN 2224-5731
Halsall, J (2012) ‘The Demands of Curriculum Development in a Virtual Learning Environment’ International Journal of Information Technology & Computer Science ( IJITCS ) . ISSN 2090-1610
Dummer, T., Halsall, J. and Cook, I. (2011) ‘Longevity in the 21st century: a global environmental perspective’ International Journal of Society Systems Science , 3 (4), pp. 307-324. ISSN 1756-2511
Cook, I. and Halsall, J. (2011) Aging in Comparative Perspective: Processes and Policies . International Perspectives on Aging. : Springer. ISBN 978-1-4614-1977-8
Halsall, J (2011) ‘Book Review: Transformative Pedagogy in Architecture and Urbanism, Ashraf. M. Salama, Umbau-Verlag,ISBN 9783937954042’ Global Built Environment Review , 7 (3), pp. 83-85. ISSN 1474-6824
McIntyre, T. and Halsall, J. (2011) ‘Community governance and local decision making: Paper presented to the 'Diversity and Convergence: Planning in a World of Change' Conference’ Local Economy , 26 (4), pp. 269-284. ISSN 0269-0942
Shakur, T. and Halsall, J. (2011) ‘Global Cities, Regeneration and the Translocal Communities of Europe’ Global Built Environment Review , 6 (1), pp. 1-4. ISSN 1474-6824
Halsall, J. and Cook, I. (2010) ‘The Environmental Impact of Chinas Rapid Urbanization: A Case Study of Beijing’. In: Sustainable Architecture and Urban Development: Proceedings SB10 Amman. : CSAAR Press. pp. 419-434. ISBN 978-9957-540-00-5
Cook, I., Halsall, J. and Powell, J. (2010) ‘Comparative Aging and Qualitative Theorizing’ Qualitative Sociology Review , VI (1), pp. 48-59. ISSN 1733-8077
Shakur, T., Nasser, N. and Halsall, J. (2007) ‘Introduction: Re-Conceptualising the Ghetto in the 21st Century City’. In: Proceedings: Ghettoised Perceptions Versus Mainstream Construction of English Muslims: The Future of the Multicultural Built Environment. : Edge Hill University. .
Halsall, J (2007) ‘English Muslims and the Debates in Segregation’ Global Built Environment Review , pp. 18-28. ISSN 1474-6824
Halsall, J (2005) ‘Book Review: Understanding Urban Tourism: Images, Culture and Experience, Martin Selby, I.B. Tauris, London, ISBN 1860648010’ Global Built Environment Review , 4 (3), pp. 91-92. ISSN 1474-6824
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy, March 2011
- Fellow of the Royal Geographical Society, January 2006
- Associate Member, British Sociological Association, January 2009
- Member of the Institute for Research in Citizenship and Applied Human Sciences (IRCAHS), University of Huddersfield, 2012 to present
- Member of the Centre for Research in the Social Sciences, University of Huddersfield, 2008 to present
Editorial board memberships
- International Journal of Research in Applied, Natural and Social Sciences
- Illness, Crisis & Loss
- Studies in Asian Social Science
- Interdisciplinary Review of Research and Development
- International Journal of Asian Social Science
- Journal of Population Ageing, Oxford Institute of Population Ageing
- Journal of Management and Sustainability
- Global Built Environment Review
- South Asian Cultural Studies
- Public Policy and Administration Research
External examiner appointments
- BA and MA Youth and Community Studies, The University of East London, 2012 to present
- BA Health Studies, BSc Public and Community Health, BA Sociology and BA Evaluating Practice programmes, De Montfort University, 2013 to present
- Validation of BSc (Hons) Family and Communities Studies, Edge Hill University, 14th March 2014
Research Degree Supervision
Master of Research (MRes)
- 'South Asian Women in Britain The Concept of Britishness and Plural Identities' (Completed July 2014)
Supervision of current Doctoral students
- 'A Study of the Effects of Organizational Form on Equity of Access in the Provision of Public Health Care Studies' (1st Supervisor)
- 'Uncovering the Complex Interactions Among the Human Attributes of Crime, Ethnicity and Socio-Economic Status Amidst Globalisation' (1st Supervisor)
- 'Organizational Learning in English Authorities' (2nd Supervisor)
- (2014) Community Engagement, CPD Workshops, Higher Education Academy (with Snowden, M.).
- (2011) Co-Hosted a European workshop on Local and Global Perspectives of Ethnic and Religious Conflicts: Interrogating the Muslim Built Environments of Europe, 15th December.
- (2011) Economic & Social Research Council, Rapporteur, The Urban Environment: Mirror and Mediator of Radicalisation, 22nd October.
- (2008 2009) Foundation Degree and BA (Hons) Governance and Public Management - Top Up Degree, Local Authorities: Kirklees Metropolitan Council, Rotherham Metropolitan Borough Council, Wakefield City Metropolitan District Council, (with Craig, J. and Woodcock, P.).
- (2007 2009) Research Development Fund, Edge Hill University, Changing attitudes, Multiple Loyalties and Emerging Identities of South Asian Muslims Towards Sports in the Urban North West: A Case Study of Oldham, (with Shakur, T., and Baldwin, D.).
- (2007 2010) British Council, Development of a Collaborative Postgraduate Programme on Environmentally Sustainable Design of Building, (with Shakur, T.).
- Admissions Tutor for the Behavioural Sciences Undergraduate Courses at The University of Huddersfield
- Undergraduate Student Journal, Behavioural Sciences Champion, 2013 to present
- From September 2008 to March 2012, Course Leader in Social Sciences at both Barnsley and Oldham Campuses
Teaching and Professional Activities
- HFB 2002 Introduction to Sociology: Society and Culture
- HIX 1010 Competing Perspectives on Development Studies
- HHB 1067 Final Year Project for the Social Sciences