Dr Jamie Halsall
firstname.lastname@example.org | 01484 473627
Jamie Halsall is Senior Lecturer in Social Sciences in the Department of Behavioural Sciences and Social Sciences at Huddersfield University. He joined the institution in September 2008 and also worked at Edge Hill University and Liverpool John Moores University as an Associate Tutor and Research Assistant respectively.
In 2003 Jamie gained a BA (Hons) degree in Geography from Edge Hill University. The following year he gained a Masters degree in the Geographies of Globalisation and Development. In 2010 he completed his Doctorate of Philosophy while studying at the University of Liverpool. His academic career has included research with the International Centre for Development and Environmental Studies (ICDES), which was based in the Department of Natural Applied Sciences at Edge Hill University. From 2004 to 2008 he was Editorial Assistant of Global Built Environment Review (GBER) an international journal (www.edgehill.ac.uk/gber).
Research & Scholarship
Jamie Halsalls research interests lie in the field of Social Policy. Recently Jamie has undertaken research in Aging in Society. In December 2011 Jamie co published a book with Professor Ian Cook on Aging in Comparative Perspective: Processes and Policies, which was published by Springer Press, New York.
Publications and Other Research Outputs
Halsall, J., Wankhade, P. and Cook, I. (2013) ‘The Big Society in a Time of Crisis the Impact on Public Health’ Illness, Crisis and Loss , 21 (4), pp. 341-353. ISSN 1054-1373
Halsall, J (2013) ‘The problem with community cohesion’ International Journal of Society Systems Science , 5 (3), pp. 283-299. ISSN 1756-2511
Halsall, J. and Cook, I. (2013) ‘Globalization Impacts on Chinese Politics and Urbanization’ Chinese Studies , 02 (02), pp. 84-88. ISSN 2168-5428
Halsall, J., Oberoi, R., Cooke, I. and Wankhade, P. (2013) ‘Understanding Community Governance: A Global Perspective ’ International Journal of Asian Social Science , 3 (5), pp. 1112-1127. ISSN 2226-5139
Cook, I., Gu, C. and Halsall, J. (2013) ‘Chinas Low Income Urban Housing’ Asian Social Science , 9 (3), pp. 7-17. ISSN 1911-2017
Halsall, J (2013) ‘Delivering Higher Education Policies within a Challenging Community’ Higher Education Studies , 3 (2), pp. 52-61. ISSN 1925-4741
Halsall, J., Gifford, C. and Gill, S. (2013) ‘The UKs ad hoc Multiculturalism and the Re-assertion of Britishness’. In: Diversity, Intercultural Encounters, and Education. London, UK: Routledge. . ISBN 9780415638333
Cook, I., GU, C. and Halsall, J. (2013) ‘Chinas Growing Urban Health Inequalities: The Challenges Ahead’ Journal of Management and Sustainability , 3 (2), pp. 10-18. ISSN 1925-4725
Halsall, J (2013) ‘Book Review: Understanding Development By Paul Hopper Published by: Polity ISBN: 978-0-7456-3895-9’ Global Built Environment Review , 8 (2), pp. 103-104. ISSN 1474-6824
Halsall, J (2013) Understanding Ethnic Segregation in Contemporary Britain . European Economic and Political Issues; Social Issues, Justice and Status. New York, USA: Nova Science Publishers . ISBN 978-1-62808-756-7
Halsall, J (2012) ‘Community Governance Where did it all go Wrong?’ Journal of Administration and Governance JOAAG , 7 (2), pp. 1-8. ISSN 1834-352X
Gifford, C., Halsall, J. and Gill, S. (2012) ‘The UKs Ad Hoc Multiculturalism and the Rise of Britishness’. In: Diversity, Intercultural Encounters, and Education. : Routledge. . ISBN 9780415638333
Halsall, J (2012) ‘Theorising the relationship between racial segregation and rioting’ International Journal of Business and General Management , 1 (2), pp. 75-89. ISSN 2319-2267
Crines, A. and Halsall, J. (2012) ‘Remoulding Welfare Britain: The Philosophy of the Big Society in Camerons Britain’ Public Policy and Administration Research , 2 (7). ISSN 2224-5731
Halsall, J (2012) ‘The Demands of Curriculum Development in a Virtual Learning Environment’ International Journal of Information Technology & Computer Science ( IJITCS ) . ISSN 2090-1610
Dummer, T., Halsall, J. and Cook, I. (2011) ‘Longevity in the 21st century: a global environmental perspective’ International Journal of Society Systems Science , 3 (4), pp. 307-324. ISSN 1756-2511
Cook, I. and Halsall, J. (2011) Aging in Comparative Perspective: Processes and Policies . International Perspectives on Aging. : Springer . ISBN 978-1-4614-1977-8
Halsall, J (2011) ‘Book Review: Transformative Pedagogy in Architecture and Urbanism, Ashraf. M. Salama, Umbau-Verlag,ISBN 9783937954042’ Global Built Environment Review , 7 (3), pp. 83-85. ISSN 1474-6824
McIntyre, T. and Halsall, J. (2011) ‘Community governance and local decision making: Paper presented to the 'Diversity and Convergence: Planning in a World of Change' Conference’ Local Economy , 26 (4), pp. 269-284. ISSN 0269-0942
Shakur, T. and Halsall, J. (2011) ‘Global Cities, Regeneration and the Translocal Communities of Europe’ Global Built Environment Review , 6 (1), pp. 1-4. ISSN 1474-6824
Halsall, J. and Cook, I. (2010) ‘The Environmental Impact of Chinas Rapid Urbanization: A Case Study of Beijing’. In: Sustainable Architecture and Urban Development: Proceedings SB10 Amman. : CSAAR Press. pp. 419-434. ISBN 978-9957-540-00-5
Cook, I., Halsall, J. and Powell, J. (2010) ‘Comparative Aging and Qualitative Theorizing ’ Qualitative Sociology Review , VI (1), pp. 48-59. ISSN 1733-8077
Shakur, T., Nasser, N. and Halsall, J. (2007) ‘Introduction: Re-Conceptualising the Ghetto in the 21st Century City’. In: Proceedings: Ghettoised Perceptions Versus Mainstream Construction of English Muslims: The Future of the Multicultural Built Environment. : Edge Hill University. .
Halsall, J (2007) ‘English Muslims and the Debates in Segregation’ Global Built Environment Review , pp. 18-28. ISSN 1474-6824
Halsall, J (2005) ‘Book Review: Understanding Urban Tourism: Images, Culture and Experience, Martin Selby, I.B. Tauris, London, ISBN 1860648010’ Global Built Environment Review , 4 (3), pp. 91-92. ISSN 1474-6824
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy, March 2011.
- Associate Member, British Sociological Association, January 2009.
- Fellow of the Royal Geographical Society, January 2006.
Research Degree Supervision
Jamie Halsall would be interested in supervising on the following research topics:
- Community Governance.
- Impacts and implications of an Aging Society.
- Multiculturalism and the debates around Ethnic Segregation/Community Cohesion.
Jamie is currently a second supervisor for a PhD student researching Organizational Learning in English Authorities.
- (2011) Co-Hosted a European workshop on Local and Global Perspectives of Ethnic and Religious Conflicts: Interrogating the Muslim Built Environments of Europe, 15th December.
- (2011) Economic & Social Research Council, Rapporteur, The Urban Environment: Mirror and Mediator of Radicalisation, 22nd October.
- (2008 2009) Foundation Degree and BA (Hons) Governance and Public Management - Top Up Degree, Local Authorities: Kirklees Metropolitan Council, Rotherham Metropolitan Borough Council,Wakefield City Metropolitan District Council, (with Craig, J. and Woodcock, P.).
- (2007 2009) Research Development Fund, Edge Hill University, Changing attitudes, Multiple Loyalties and Emerging Identities of South Asian Muslims Towards Sports in the Urban North West: A Case Study of Oldham, (with Shakur, T., and Baldwin, D.).
- (2007 2010) British Council, Development of a Collaborative Postgraduate Programme on Environmentally Sustainable Design of Building, (with Shakur, T.).
- Admissions Tutor for the Behavioural Sciences Undergraduate Courses at The University of Huddersfield.
- From September 2008 to March 2012 Course Leader in Social Sciences at both Barnsley and Oldham Campuses
Teaching and Professional Activities
- Module Leader for HHX 1020 Policy and Political Strategy.
- Module Leader for HIX 1019 Explaining Politics.
- Module Leader for HHB 1067 Final Year Project (Social Sciences).
- Module Leader for HFB 2002 Introduction to Sociology: Society and Culture.
Your feedback has been sent to the University Web/E-Marketing Team.