email@example.com | 01484 473820
- September 2008-ongoing: Senior Lecturer, initially the Nursing and Health Studies Adult division and latterly the Division of Health and Rehabilitation, School of Human and Health Sciences, University of Huddersfield
- 2007-2008: Lecturer Practitioner, School of Human and Health Sciences, University of Huddersfield
- 2000-2008: District Nurse Team Leader and CPT
- 1995-2000: Staff Nurse, Elderly Medicine (1995) and Primary Care Nurse (1997)
- 1991-1995: Senior Staff Nurse 2, Riyadh, Prince Sultan Cardiac Centre
- 1987-1991: Senior Staff Nurse, Scarborough Hospital (1987) and Charge Nurse, Medical Unit North Manchester (1989)
- 1983-1987: Student, Calderdale School of Nursing
Research & Scholarship
I have been developing my role in the research team based between the University of Huddersfield and the Dewsbury Hospital, becoming involved in a research grant that will look at the implications of service users in relation to reducing diabesity in the local population. This will be co-ordinated by Dr W.Gillibrand and is linked with the Dewsbury Hospital. I am also working alongside the Dewsbury Diabetes Centre to look at research and the interventions required for diabetes and its relation to obesity and also the impact of support groups in reducing weight loss.
Publications and Other Research Outputs
Hemingway, S., Stephenson, J., Holliday, L. and Covill, C. (2013) ‘Administering LAAIs: an education and training workshop’ British Journal of Mental Health Nursing , 2 (4), pp. 216-220. ISSN 2049-5919
Hemingway, S., Covill, C. and Holliday, L. (2013) ‘Administering long-acting antipsychotic injections’ British Journal of Mental Health Nursing , 2 (3), pp. 155-161.
Covill, C. and Hope, A. (2012) ‘Practice development: implementing a change of practice as a team’ British Journal of Community Nursing , 17 (8), pp. 378-383. ISSN 1462-4753
Holdich, P., Gillibrand, W. and Covill, C. (2012) ‘Diabetes in the South Asian community’ Journal of Community Nursing , 26 (4), pp. 13-15. ISSN 0140-0908
Covill, C (2012) ‘HCA Insulin and Home Management’. In: Yorkshire and Humberside Skills Network Group, 21st June 2012, Scarborough
Covill, C. and Batt, S. (2011) ‘Primary care experience The pro-active student.’. In: 4th Clinical Skills Conference: HIgh Tech to Low Tech, 2nd November 2011, University of Huddersfield
Covill, C. and Hayles, J. (2011) ‘Learning styles’. In: Supporting Learning in Practice SLIP Conference, 13th April 2011, University of Huddersfield
Covill, C., Kaye, V. and Burton, R. (2011) ‘Problem based Learning: A Reflective Account of its Application in Health Professional Education’ Malaysian Journal of Nursing , 3 (2).
Chappell , M. and Covill, C. (2010) ‘Simulation not for Dummies 2: Preparing students for primary care experience’. In: 2010 UK Simulation in Nursing Education Conference, 9-10 June 2010, University of Huddersfield
Gillibrand, W., Holdich, P. and Covill, C. (2009) ‘Managing type 2 diabetes: new policy and interventions ’ British Journal of Community Nursing , 14 (7), pp. 285-291. ISSN 1462-4753
Research Degree Supervision
I have been actively involved in the Year 3 dissertation and research module for pre-registration students, this year's focus for my group of seven being around literature reviews and the formulation of themes. I have also been involved in the supervision of post-registration students, the projects mostly relating to primary care, district/ community nursing and diabetes management. My present supervisions are MSc studies in continence care and pain management in primary care.
Teaching and Professional Activities
- HIN 2001: Community skills preparation for the 2nd year pre-registration course. 1 year placement programme, 40 credits; module lead
- HIN 2000: Year 2, 40 credit course, acute service and long term condition management; associate regarding community focus
- HFN 2000: Reflective approaches to communication and essential skills year 1; associate
- HFN 2001: Simulation in practice; core simulation lecturer, responsible for mainual handling training of students in all 3 years
- HHN 1247: Diabetes in practice course
I deliver sessions on complex needs in the community to private sector, post-qualified nurses from Learning Disability and Mental Health backgrounds and teach on the district nurse and advanced practitioner courses. I am also developing multi professional CPD teaching for Learning Disability Nurses (St Annes Charitable Trust).