Dr Ertu Unver
email@example.com | 01484 473747
Dr ERTUgrul UNVER (BSc, MSc, PhD, PgCert, Associate Professor) : Principal Enterprise Fellow (Reader) in 3D & Product Design, Course Leader for BA/BSc Product Design course
During college education Dr Unver trained as manufacturing engineer before taking a Degree in Mechanical Engineering. After gaining BSc Mechanical Engineering in 1986, completing MSc in 1989 in Engineering & Computer Programming, he has worked as a Research Assistant for 4 years and then as a Lecturer for 3 years. After completing his PhD, he became Assistant Professor at the University of Cukurova, Turkey in 1994.
Dr Unver entered the design industry when he started working for a UK based Industrial Design consultancy in 1995 as designer & CAD/CAM manager where he designed a number of consumer products including Laptops, mobile phones, monitors, security & monitoring devices. In 1999, he was appointed as Senior Lecturer at the University of Huddersfield, teaching on Product, Industrial and Transport Design courses. He is also course leader for MA 3D Digital Design course.
In 2013, he was awarded the title of Associate Professor by Higher Education Authority of Turkey (YOK). Recently, he has been appointed as a Principal Enterprise Fellow (Reader) at the University of Huddersfield, School of Art, Design and Architecture, Department of Architecture and 3D Design. He has been a member of Higher Education Academy (FHEA (2013-), and was a member of Institution of Engineering Design (AIED), (2013-2015) Dr Unver has 10 years industrial and over 20 years academic experience in Research and Development. As an Engineer the areas of responsibility included, machine tools, manufacturing technologies (turning, milling, grinding, CNC, CAD/CAM, building of cementing and brick machinery, press, forging steelwork machinery, moulding design and manufacture.
Since starting at Huddersfield, he has produced over 100 research outputs. During this time he delivered Digital Technologies, Engineering and Manufacturing Technology, Project modules and opportunity to supervise students both undergraduate and postgraduate levels including running live projects with some of the top design companies/ fantastic onsultancies including Rover, Nissan, Morgan, Jaguar, Bayer, DePuy: Johnson & Johnson, Paxman, FireUP, Kenwood). He has been involved in a number of highly valued research, consultancy design work involved in REF (Research Excellent Framework). He is keen on collaboration and have excellent relations with colleagues from other Schools within the University in addition to colleagues at the other Universities such as Sheffield Hallam, De Montfort, Falmouth and Bradford. His interest extends to international collaboration where teaching and research features strongly in countries such as a number of Turkish, Russian, South African Universities.
Research and Scholarship
Dr Unver's longstanding research interests are in the area of 3D Digital Design, Product Design and Mechanical Engineering. He has an Design Engineering background with CAD/CAM, CNC and design for manufacturing. He extensively uses various technologies including 3D printing, prototyping, 3D scanning, motion capture, design optimisation and analysis. His recent research involves the use of rapid manufacturing systems, 3D laser Sintering and Stereolithography 3D printing technologies for Rapid Tooling. He has extensively used application of 3D laser scanning process for product development. Other recent works: Application of polygonal modelling techniques for 3D printing of artifacts, Laser Sintering for manufacturing of moulds, silicone forming technologies, software development of randomly mutating shapes & 3D meshes for building of complex craft forms.
He have supervised over 25 Postgraduate students with research area of Digital Design, Industrial, Product Design, 3D Scanning, Motion Capture, VR, 3D Interactive Media, Animation, Rapid Tool Design & Mass Customisation. He is committed to the development and support of research activity, which he considers to be fundamental to the continuing success of the University as a centre for innovation and as a contributor to the economic wellbeing of the country.
Publications and Other Research Outputs
Unver, E., Paxman, G. and Paxman, N.(2016) Heat exchanger cap : Granted Patent GB2528512 ID No: 1416757.1. 1416757.1.
Unver, E (2016) Exhibition of Design, Development and Manufacturing of Scalp Cooling Cap [Show/Exhibition]
Unver, E., Taylor, A. and Ball, A. (2016) Comparative Analysis of Mobile 3D Scanning Technologies for Design, Manufacture of Interior and Exterior Tensile Material Structures and Canvasman Ltd. Case Study Otley, West Yorkshire,: CANVASMAN (Submitted)
Taylor, A., Unver, E. and Ball, A. (2016) ‘Interdisciplinary 3d Mobile Scanning Technology Case Studies: Canvasman, Faro, Artec & Structure Sensor For Ipad.’. In: School of Art, Design & Architecture Research Conference 2016, 14th January 2016, University of Huddersfield , pp. 1-1
Benincasa-Sharman, C., Taylor, A. and Unver, E. (2016) ‘Populating Praxis of Place, Stonehenge: An Interdisciplinary Collaboration’. In: School of Art, Design & Architecture Research Conference 2016, 14th January 2016, University of Huddersfield
Unver, E., Swann, D. and Paxman, R.(2015) Exhibition Narrative: Scalp Cooling Cap 2015 MedTech Exhibition,Ireland [Show/Exhibition]
Unver, E., Silkstone, R. and Swann, D. (2015) Design, development, and prototyping of a bike chain & gear mechanism cleaning product Sentini Marine (Unpublished)
Taylor, A. and Unver, E. (2015) ‘3D Printing our future: Now’. In: 3M: IMI Workshop In collaboration With EOS, Renishaw & HK 3D Printing, 17th March 2015, 3M Buckley Innovation Centre , pp. 1-16
Unver, E. and Taylor, A. (2015) 3D Additive Manufacturing Symposium & Workshop . Huddersfield, UK: University of Huddersfield.
Taylor, A., Unver, E. and Benincasa-Sharman, C. (2014) ‘Material shifts in praxis: Projections of digital humanities embodied within space and place’. In: Transition: Re-thinking Textiles and Surfaces, 26th and 27th November 2014, School of Art, Design and Architecture, University of Huddersfield, Huddersfield, UK , pp. 1-1
Taylor, A., Benincasa-Sharman, C. and Unver, E. (2014) ‘3D digital modelling, fabrication and installation for understanding space and place’. In: 7th International Conference of Education, Research and Innovation, 17th-19th November 2014, Seville, Spain
Taylor, A. and Unver, E. (2014) ‘3D Printing- Media Hype or Manufacturing Reality: Textiles Surface Fashion Product Architecture.’. In: Textiles Society Lecture, 17th February 2014, Textile Centre of Excellence, Huddersfield UK
Kus, A., Unver, E., Jagger, B. and Durgun, I. (2013) ‘A Study of Injection Moulding with Bismuth Alloy’. In: Green Design, Materials and Manufacturing Processes. : Taylor & Francis. pp. 225-232. ISBN 9781138000469
Unver, E., Swann, D., Bailey, R., Govindarajan, I. and Dollan, F. (2013) The Art of 3D Sculpted Printing : Royal Coat of Arms Case Study [Artefact]
Unver, E., Howard, C. and Swann, D. (2013) ‘Design & Development of Scalp Cooling Cap’. In: Smart Scalp Cooling Symposium, 16 May 2013, 3M Buckley Innovation Centre , Huddersfield, UK
Unver, E. and Howard, C. (2013) An Animation to show Development of Scalp Cooling Cap [Video]
Unver, E (2013) ‘Can 3D Printing change your business?’. In: CKMA Calderdale and Kirklees Manufacturing Alliance Meeting, 11th April 2013, 3M Buckley Centre, Huddersfield
Taylor, A., Unver, E., Armstrong, B., Ward, G., Agnew, A., Hughes-McGrail, D. and Argyrou, a. (2013) ‘3D digital technologies: Sculpting, modelling & construction of patterns for costume & clothing’. In: The First International Symposium for Creative Pattern Cutting, 6th - 7th February 2013, University of Huddersfield , pp. 1-45
Unver, E., Howard, C., Swann, D. and Stockton, G. (2013) Design, development and prototyping of portable Potty as part of Petit en Suite Childs Pop-up Privacy Room Huddersfield, UK: University of Huddersfield (Submitted)
Unver, E (2013) Design and Development of a new Scalp Cooling Cap - Stage 1 : Confidential Design and Development Report Confidential Report Submitted to Paxman Coolers ltd (Submitted)
Taylor, A. and Unver, E. (2012) Video narrative of Virtual reconstruction of Stonehenge [Video]
Unver, E. and Taylor, A. (2012) ‘Virtual Stonehenge Reconstruction’. In: 4th International Euro-Mediterranean Conference (EuroMed 2012), Cyprus, 29 October - 3 November 2012
Unver, E. and Taylor, A. (2012) ‘Virtual Stonehenge Reconstruction’. In: Progress in Cultural Heritage Preservation. : Springer. pp. 449-460. ISBN 978-3-642-34234-9
Taylor, A., Unver, E. and Benincasa-Sharman, C. (2012) ‘Hyper naturalism and simulacra in Stonehenge art’. In: 4th International Euro-Mediterranean Conference (EuroMed 2012), Cyprus, 29 October - 3 November 2012
Taylor, A. and Unver, E. (2012) Biomimetic radiolarian lamp prototypes [Artefact]
Taylor, A. and Unver, E. (2012) Stonehenge fire effects [Artefact]
Dean, L., Unver, E., Campbell, I. and De Beer, D. (2012) ‘Making it real: virtual tools in 3D creative practice’. In: Making: an International Conference on Materiality and Knowledge. Notodden, Norway: NordFo, Nordic Research Network. p. 76.
Armstrong, B., Unver, E. and Taylor, A. (2012) ‘Sketching in digital clay: Digital sculpture for costume design visualization’. In: DRN Drawing Research Network conference 2012, 10-11 September 2012, School of the Arts/Loughborough Design School, Loughborough University
Swann, D. and Unver, E. (2012) Buy, Drink, Recycle, Sell, See [Artefact]
Unver, E., Hall, R. and Lipthorpe, S. (2012) Body Shop Design Concept: 3D digital design [Artefact]
Taylor, A. and Unver, E. (2012) ‘Practice based 3D Biomimetry Design Research: Sea Star Lamp Concept’. In: Ecobuild 2012,, March 20-22nd. 2012, ExCel, London
Taylor, A. and Unver, E. (2012) ‘Practice based 3D surface design research: Zooplankton Lamp & Particle fluid lamp’. In: Surface Design Show 2012, Februrary 7-9 2012, Business Design Centre, Islington. London
Unver, E. and Taylor, A. (2012) Digital Stonehenge Illustrations [Artefact]
Unver, E. and Swann, D. (2012) The Conceptual Design of a Blister Pack opening tool http://www.3mbic.com/ (Submitted)
Unver, E. and Dean, L.(2011) Droplet Lamp Design exhibition [Show/Exhibition]
Taylor, A., Harris, J., Unver, E. and Lewis, L.(2011) Exhibition of materials thinking and research: Digital 3D Modelling & Additive Prototypes of Surface Materials. [Show/Exhibition]
Unver, E. and Townsley, J. (2011) Integration of 3D technologies to communicate large scale sculpture installation: Till Rolls Case Study [Video]
Fitzpatrick, F. and Unver, E. (2011) ‘Digital Sculpting for Historical Representation: Neville Tomb Case Study’. In: sculpture network Drawing Symposium UK 2011, 26th August 2011, Huddersfield, UK
Armstrong, B. and Unver, E. (2011) ‘Sketching in Digital Clay: Digital sculpture for costume design visualisation’. In: sculpture network Drawing Symposium UK 2011, 26 Aug 2011, Huddersfield, UK
Atkinson, P., Marshall, J., Unver, E. and Dean, L. (2011) ‘I did it my way: user engagement in post industrial manufacturing’. In: SIM 2011 Sustainable Intelligent Manufacturing. Leiria, Portugal: IST Press. pp. 679-687. ISBN 978-989-8481-03-0
Till, R., Taylor, A. and Unver, E. (2011) ‘Stonehenge Ritual Sound’. In: Palaeophonics: a live multimedia performance event, 27 May 2011, George Square Theatre, Edinburgh.UK
Johnson, A. and Unver, E. (2011) The Conceptual Design of a Kinetic Energy Storage Device to Store 20 KWh of Energy Huddersfield, UK: University of Huddersfield Confidential Feasibility Report (Unpublished)
Unver, E., Hughes, D., Walker, B., Blackburn, R. and Chien, L. (2011) ‘Integration of Motion Capture into 3D Animation Workflows’. In: Research Festival 2011(Research Poster Competition) University of Huddersfield, 28 March - 2 April 2011, University of Huddersfield
Taylor, A., Unver, E. and Till, R. (2011) ‘Ritual Fire at Virtual Stonehenge’. In: Research Festival 2011(Research Poster Competition) University of Huddersfield, 28 March - 2 April 2011, University of Huddersfield
Taylor, A., Harris, J., Unver, E. and Lewis, L.(2011) Extraordinary 3D Surface Materials: A practice based exhibition of 3D learning artefacts and prototypes. [Show/Exhibition]
Till, R., Taylor, A. and Unver, E. (2010) ‘Digital 3D model reconstruction of Stonehenge phase 3c’. In: TAG 2010: The 32nd Annual Conference of the Theoretical Archaeology Group, 17-19 December 2010, University of Bristol, UK
Taylor, A., Unver, E. and Till, R. (2010) ‘Modelling Stonehenge: An interdisciplinary digital approach to 3D interactive storytelling’. In: TAG 2010: The 32nd Annual Conference of the Theoretical Archaeology Group, 17-19 December 2010, University of Bristol, UK
Vinodh, K. and Unver, E. (2010) Stereoscopic 3D Filming : Huddersfield University case study [Video]
Zotova, A. and Unver, E. (2010) A new concept of a global environment system for children [Video]
Unver, E., Marshall, J. and Atkinson, P.(2010) Automake Exhibition, DHUB, Spain [Show/Exhibition]
Unver, E., Marshall, J. and Atkinson, P.(2010) Automake Exhibition, DHUB, Spain [Show/Exhibition]
Unver, E. and Taylor, A. (2010) ‘3D Realisation of Cultural Heritage UNESCO world heritage site in Saltaire, Bradford’. In: Virtual Heritage 2010, 22nd - 23rd March 2010, Bangor, UK
Unver, E., Taylor, A. and Hughes, D. (2010) ‘Poster Paper: Editable Artefact: Stonehenge Megalithic Puzzle Project’. In: University of Huddersfield Research Festival 2010, 8-18 March 2010, Huddersfield University
Unver, E., Brown, C. and Veeragoni, N. (2010) ‘3D Art: Andromeda Angel’. In: University of Huddersfield Research Festival, 8 - 18 March 2010, University of Huddersfield
Unver, E (2010) ‘Stereoscopic voices’ Radar , 1 (1), pp. 34-35. ISSN 2049-4327
Unver, E., Marshall, J. and Atkinson, P.(2010) Automake craft at the LAB CRAFT UK [Show/Exhibition]
Taylor, A. and Unver, E. (2009) ‘An art and design perspective: The development of a 3D interactive Saltaire UNESCO world Heritage site.’. In: The 10th International Symposium on Virtual Reality, Archaeology and Cultural Heritage VAST (2009), 22nd - 25th September 2009, St Julians, Malta , pp. 98-102
Kus, A., Unver, E. and Taylor, A. (2009) ‘A comparative study of 3D scanning in engineering, product and transport design and fashion design education’ Computer Applications in Engineering Education , 17 (3), pp. 263-271. ISSN 1061-3773
Unver, E. and Taylor, A. (2009) ‘Educational Online 3D Workshop Simulations’. In: SimTecT 2009 Conference Proceedings. : Simulation Industry Association of Australia. . ISBN 0977525767
Unver, E. and Taylor, A. (2009) ‘3D modelling and programming of multiplayer virtual technical support game environment in Art, Design & Architecture’. In: University of Huddersfield Research Festival, 23rd March - 2nd April 2009, University of Huddersfield, Huddersfield, United Kingdom , pp. 1-1
Unver, E., Taylor, A. and Cunningham, P. (2008) ‘3D Interactive virtual environments for E-learning, teaching and technical support: Multiplayer teaching and learning games for the School of Art, Design & Architecture.’. In: Teaching and Learning Conference 2008: Enhancing Learning: Technology by Design, 15th September 2008, University of Huddersfield, 15th September, 2008, University of Huddersfield, Huddersfield, United Kingdom
Unver, E., Atkinson, P. and Marshall, J. (2008) ‘Automake Physics: Random Craft Production’ Computer-Aided Design and Applications , 5 (1-4), pp. 58-65. ISSN 1686-4360
Atkinson, P., Unver, E., Marshall, J. and Dean, L. (2008) ‘Post Industrial Manufacturing Systems: the undisciplined nature of generative design’. In: Proceedings of the Design Research Society Conference 2008. : Sheffield Hallam University. pp. 194/1-194/17. ISBN 9781843872931
Unver, E., Marshall, J., Dean, L. and Atkinson, P. (2008) Automake/FutureFactories . : Hub: National Centre for Craft & Design. ISBN 9780954801571
Marshall, J., Dean, L., Unver, E. and Atkinson, P. (2008) ‘Automaking for the people’ Crafts , pp. 42-51. ISSN 0306-610X
Marshall, J., Unver, E. and Atkinson, P. (2007) ‘AutoMAKE: Generative systems, digital manufacture and craft production’. In: Generative Art Conference, 11th -14th December 2007, Milan, Italy
Taylor, A. and Unver, E. (2007) ‘Mutating the realities in fashion design: virtual clothing for 3D avatars’. In: Extreme Fashion: Pushing the Boundaries of Design, Technology and Business: Conference Proceedings 2007 (IFFTI Conference Proceedings). : Centre for Learning and Teaching in Art and Design (CLTAD). pp. 362-378. ISBN 9780954143978
Marshall, J., Atkinson, P. and Unver, E. (2007) ‘Generative Craft and Digital Production’. In: The Second Nordic Design Research Conference, 27-30 May 2007, Konstfack Stockholm, Sweden
Unver, E. and Taylor, A. (2007) ‘Creating 3D virtual spaces in art and design education’. In: Teachers academy papers. : University of Brighton. pp. 93-97. ISBN 9781905593071
Taylor, A., Unver, E. and Hales, D. (2006) ‘Interactive 3D architectural buildings for web based design education’. In: Studio Culture 4 - Studio Futures, 18th -19th December 2006, Manchester School of Architecture
Unver, E. and Taylor, A. (2006) ‘The development of educational 3D virtual interactive learning environments for art, design & architecture’. In: Teaching & Learning Conference, 15th September 2006, University of Huddersfield
Unver, E (2006) ‘Strategies for the transition to CAD based 3D design education’. In: CAD'06 International CAD Conference, 19th -23rd June 2006, Phuket Island, Thailand
Unver, E., Atkinson, P. and Tancock, D. (2006) ‘Applying 3-D scanning and modeling in transport engineering’. In: CAD'06 International CAD Conference, 19th -23rd June 2006, Phuket Island, Thailand
Unver, E (2006) ‘Strategies for the transition to CAD based 3D design education’ Computer-Aided Design and Applications , 3 (1-4), pp. 323-330. ISSN 1686-4360
Unver, E., Atkinson, P. and Tancock, D. (2006) ‘Applying 3D scanning and modeling in transport design education’ Journal of Computer-Aided Design and Applications , 3 (1-4), pp. 41-48. ISSN 1686-4360
Taylor, A. and Unver, E. (2005) ‘An experimental study to test a 3D laser Scanner for body measurement and 3D virtual garment design in Fashion education’. In: Wearable Futures Hybrid Culture in the Design and Development of Soft Technology. : University of Wales. pp. 1-14. ISBN 978-1-899274-34-5
Taylor, A. and Unver, E. (2005) ‘Ethical Praxis in Body Scanning:An Experimental Study into 3D laser Scanning in Fashion and Textiles/Surface Design’. In: CADE 2005 Post graduate research conference:, 23-24th March 2005, Watershed: 1 Canon's Road, Harbourside, Bristol BS1 5TX , pp. 1-55
Dean, L., Atkinson, P. and Unver, E. (2005) ‘Evolving individualised consumer products’. In: 6th International Conference of the European Academy of Design, 29-31 March 2005, University of the Arts, Bremen
Dean, L., Atkinson, P. and Unver, E. (2005) ‘FutureFactories : inverting the mass-production paradigm’. In: Autonomatic, 28th January 2005, Design Centre at Tremough, Falmouth College of Arts, Cornwall
Atkinson, P., Unver, E. and Dean, L. (2004) ‘Future factories : supportive technologies as creative processes’. In: 8th International Design Conference, Design 2004, 18th-21st May 2004, Dubrovnik - Cavtat, Croatia , pp. 99-104
Taylor, A., Unver, E. and Worth, G. (2003) ‘Innovative potential of 3D software applications in fashion and textile design’ Digital Creativity , 14 (4), pp. 211-218. ISSN 1462-6268
Taylor, A., Unver, E. and Worth, G. (2003) ‘Innovative potential of 3D software applications in fashion and textile design’. In: CADE 2003, 22-25th April 2003, Hull School of Art and Design
Jeffries, K., Unver, E. and Jagger, B. (2002) ‘Assessing Creativity: Theory and Practice, Sharing Experience in Engineering Design’. In: Sharing Experience in Engineering Design: SEED 2002. Chichester: Wiley. pp. 99-122. ISBN 978-1-86058-397-1
Unver, E. and Mavromihales, M. (2001) ‘Design and Development of an interactive 3D CNC Computer Aided Learning Program’. In: 17th International Conference on CAD/CAM, Robotics and Factories of Future, 10-12 July 2001, Durban, South Africa
Unver, E., Moscovitch, T. and Jagger, B. (2001) ‘Teaching 3D CAD: Solid or Surface Modelling in Design Education’. In: 4th European Academy of Design Conference, 10-12 April 2001, University of Aveiro, Portugal
Gill, H. and Unver, E. (2000) ‘Innovation, design and CAE in new product development’. In: Integrating design education beyond 2000: proceedings of the 22nd SEED Annual Design Conference and 7th National Conference on Product Design Education, 6-7 September 2000, University of Sussex, Brighton, UK. Brighton, UK: John Wiley and Sons Ltd. . ISBN 9781860582653
Hala, A. and Unver, E. (1998) ‘Animated Reconstruction of Forensic Animation’ Solicitors Journal: Expert Witness Supplement , 142 SJ, p. 24. ISSN 0038 1047
Koc, E. and Unver, E. (1998) ‘Part Program Optimisation in CNC Turning Operation’ Pamukkale University Journal of Engineering Sciences , 4 (1-2), pp. 655-661.
Unver, E (1997) Design, Development and Manufacturing of A Game Machine Security Device [Artefact]
Unver, E (1997) Design, development and manufacturing of a carbonmonoxide sensor device [Artefact]
Koc, E. and Unver, E. (1996) ‘Analysis of cutting forces in CNC turning operations: Experimental case study’ Pamukkale University Journal of Engineering Sciences , 2 (4), pp. 47-53.
Unver, E. and Koc, E. (1993) ‘Development of a DYNA CNC simulation software and part program transfer into a CNC lathe’. In: 6th Machine Theory Conference, 1993, Trabzon, Turkey
Unver, E. and Koc, E. (1992) ‘A Study of developing an APT simulation program and its execution on a bench type lathe’. In: 5th International Machine Design and Manufacturing Congress, METU, October 1992, Ankara, Turkey
Koc, E. and Unver, E. (1992) ‘Theoretical investigation of desing parameters and performance of axial piston pumps’ Journal of Engineers and Machinery , 393, pp. 21-27.
Unver, E. and Koc, E. (1991) ‘Drive systems in computer controlled machine tools.’ Journal of Engineers and Machinery (374), pp. 17-22.
Koc, E. and Unver, E. (1990) ‘Computer numerical controlled (CNC) machining types and the control systems’ Journal of Engineers and Machinery , 31 (369), pp. 15-18.
Koc, E., Unver, E. and Ozturk, H. (1990) ‘Design, manufacture and performance research of double acting hydraulic press’ Journal of Engineers and Machinery , 31 (367), pp. 23-30.
Unver, E. and Koc, E. (1990) ‘Conversion of a conventional lathe into a computer control machine using AC motors’. In: 4th Machine Design and Manufacturing Congress, 1990, METU, Turkey , pp. 163-170
 Winner of Yorkshire and Humber Healthcare Partnership with Academia Award, (24th Feb 2016), Royal Armouries Hall, Leeds, UK, PAXMAN's Scalp cooling cap designed by the Product Design team at the University of Huddersfield and manufactured by Primasil Silicone wins healthcare Yorkshire and Humber Medilink Partnership with Academia Award 2016
 Winner of West Midland Medilink Innovation Award (14 Jan 2016): Scalp cooling device manufactured by Primasil Silicone and designed by the Product Design team at the University of Huddersfield for Paxman ltd wins West Midland Medilink Innovation Award in Birmingham, on 14 Jan 2016,
 Winner of Medtec Ireland Exhibitor Innovations Accolade Award (4-5 Oct 2015) . The academic team worked closely with "Primasil Silicones ltd" in the creation of a silicone rubber formulation that gave the cooling cap greater flexibility and enabled the coolant running through the cap to be in close contact with the scalp. The cap currently being clinically tested in various countries by Paxman ltd.
 Patent of Design and Development of a new Scalp Cooling Cap (27/Jan/2016): Unver, E., Paxman, G. and Paxman, N.(2016) Heat exchanger cap : Granted Patent GB2528512 ID No: 1416757.1. 1416757.1
 Insider's 2016 Made in Yorkshire Awards (4/Mar/2016) , Paxman Scalp cooling system is presented for Healthcare Manufacturer Award
Research Degree Supervision
Dr Unver is seeking to supervise research students in the following three areas: Application of 3D Modelling, 3D printing and 3D scanning technologies for design and new product development may include the followings subject areas:
- Application of Advanced Design Technologies in Medical industry, Mass Customisation and Custom Fitting, wearable products, (Polygon, NURBs, Solid, Class A Modelling)
- Design optimisation: Materials, simulations, motion analysis in Product Development,
- Use of Direct Digital Manufacturing, Rapid Prototyping, and Additive Manufacturing technologies in Industrial - Product Design process.
- Application of 3D Digital Sculpting for Historical, Product Design, Representations, and 3D Craft Form generations,
- 3D Scanning: Development of an Anthropometric 3D database using body and face scanning methods.
- Development of innovative approaches to mould and shape forming, Prototyping and manufacturing of injection moulding, castings, patterns, products using Low Melting Alloys such as Bismuth alloys. Innovative approaches to sheet metal forming using recyclable low melting point alloy materials. Investigation into using Metal Laminated Tooling for forming and moulding process.
- Motion capturing and 3D visualisation and simulation technologies: Human behaviour analysis using motion captured data and photogrammetry. Application of 3D motion capturing methods for automotive, transport and vehicle driving simulations, outdoor measurement and user behaviour analysis and their applications.
- Animations, Simulations and Ergonomic analysis of human working conditions; projects might include experimentation of various situations such as bicycle riding posture, low speed vehicle accidents, breaking and acceleration analysis, analysis of accessibility to vehicles, machines or buildings.
Recently he has completed a research project titled 'Post Industrial Manufacturing Systems', covering 'Future Factories' and 'AutoMAKE' covering the random mutation of product designs and building of complex craft forms randomly within user specified 3D meshes.
• Ray Butterworth (2012-) Main Supervisor, Title: Mobile devices for Interactive 3D Digital Imagery within architectural visualisation.
• Paul D Blindell (2013-) Second Supervisor, Title: Modelling Interiority: towards an experiential model of proto-spatial construction)
• Andrew Taylor (2011-) Second Supervisor, Title: The application of 3D Technologies in Surface, Fashion and Textile Design Education, started in Manchester Metropolitan University where I was the second supervisor then he transferred to University of Huddersfield.
• Lionel Dean (2004-2010), Main Supervisor Title: Future Factories, University of Huddersfield, UK, 2010
• Isil onol, (2006-2011): Second Supervisor, Title: Haptic Interaction with Visual information, University of Huddersfield, UK, 2011
MA by Research Master Students:
• Brian Jagger, 2012- Thesis Title: An investigation of recyclable Bismuth Alloys for Product Design and Manufacturing
• Barry S. Armstrong 2011-2014, completed, MA Thesis Title: Sketching in Digital Clay: Digital sculpture for costume design visualisation
• Frank Fitzpatrick, 2011-2014,completed MA: Thesis Title: Digital Sculpting for Historical Representation: Neville Tomb Case Study
• Ray Butterworth, 2010-2011, completed MA Thesis, Title: A Threaded Approach to the Learning and Delivery of 3D Illustration within a HE Framework,
• Preeti Pande: 2010-2011, completed MA Thesis Title: Creation of Educational 3D visualisations of a cultural world Heritage Site: Saltaire Case Study
MA 3D Digital Design Master Thesis Supervision
• Fiona Dollan (2014), MA Thesis title: Design of 3D futuristic hovercraft motorcycle concept.
• Iniyanrajan Govindarajan, (2014), MA Thesis title: Design, development and animation of stair-climbing wheelchair
• Paul Fox (2013), MA Thesis title: Application of 3D Interactive Media for Architectural Design and Illustration
• Ben Livingstone (2013), MA Thesis title: Innovative Design & Medical Application of 3D Printing
• Hannah Smith (Sep 2012), MA Thesis title: Historical Media – The Noble Knight an Horseback
• Bernard Walker (Sep 2012), MA Thesis title: Utilising Narrative for Design in Modern Computer Games
• Argyroulla Argyrou (Sep 2012), MA Thesis title: Digital Water Effects
• Ahmed Hmeida, (Sep 2012) MA Thesis title: Design with Climate, Sunlight and Architecture,
• Daniel Hughes (Dec 2011), MA Thesis title: A 3D Digital Portrait: Patrick Stewart
• Ryan Blackburn: (Dec 2011), MA Thesis title: Influence of 3D Digital Tools for 2D Painting
• Chaitanya Guthala, (Sept 2011), MA Thesis title: Motion Capture in Performing Arts
• Vinodh Vasudevan (Jan 2011) MA Thesis title: Influence of Compositing in Mass Media
• Naresh B. Veeragoni (Jan 2011) MA Thesis title: Application of 3D Animation for Medical Visualisation: Heart attack case study
• Naveed Azhar (April 2011) MA Thesis title: Interactivity of Buildings and Spaces: Architectural Drawing Techniques and the Alternatives
• Vijay Patel (Jan 2010) MA thesis Title: The Effective Use of Digital Character Creation Methods
• Adarsh Attavar: (Jan 2010) MA Thesis title: Integrating Advanced 3D Digital Techniques into Automotive Design Applications
• Alexandra Zotova (Jan 2010) MA Thesis title: A New Educational Game Environment Concept Development for Children
- Unver, E., Taylor, A. and Ball, A. (2016) Comparative Analysis of Mobile 3D Scanning Technologies for Design, Manufacture of Interior and Exterior Tensile Material Structures and Canvasman Ltd. Case Study. CVF Funded project for Canvasman Ltd. Otley, West Yorkshire, UK
- Unver, E., Silkstone, R. and Swann, D. (2015) Design, development, and prototyping of a bike chain & gear mechanism cleaning product CVF Funded project for Sentini Marine, Huddersfield, UK
- Unver E., (2015), Holographic Fire Simulation Display, designed and prototyped for electrical appliances with added entertainment and sensory effects purposes, CVF funded for FiredUp ltd, Huddersfield, UK.
- Unver E., Howard C., Swann D., (2012-1013), funded, Leading the Design and development of a new Scalp Cooling Project, TSB - Innovate UK Funded New Cap Development,
- Unver E., Bromley R. 2011-2012, Funded package opening design innovation project,
- Unver E., Nov 2011, Business Gateway project work for designing a Child potty training project as part of University of Huddersfield consultancy outreach,
- Unver E., Tony Johnson, Nov 2010 - April 2011, external funding received, Completion of Huddersfield University, CVF project work for developing a concept of Flywheel, Kinetic Energy Storage project, sponsored by external company ESP
- Unver E., Hunt E., Towns-Andrews, L., Ball A., Cryan B., 2012, Organising Turkish academic visitors from the University of Uludag and Tofas.
- Unver E., Feb 2010 – 15 days, Organising and delivery of externally funded short-term training programme for Turkish students at the University of Huddersfield.
- Unver E., 2009, Business Gateway project funded work for Jay Innovation. A new bin lock mechanism design.
- Anneké Pettican, Ertu Unver (2009) Joint application for AHRC funding, PetDigitised Doubles – An enquiry into digital 3D scanning and modelling processes to realise sculptural portraiture exploring poise & character
- Unver E., May 2007-2010, Knowledge RICH Business Gateway project for Jay Innovation of a security device. Wheelie Bin Lock Design, development, tooling and manufacturing,
- Unver E., Howard C.2002/2003, 3D Character development using 3D Laser scanning television programme, Joint project with Mackinnon & Sounders ltd, Manchester, UK
- Unver E., Howard C.2002, Design Development of Tractor Parts for a Television Series, Manchester, UK.
- 1998-1999, Huddersfield Technical College, Development of 3D CNC simulation software for ADAPT - University for Industry MLI Project)
- 1996-1997, Development of Pro-APT CNC Software, using Delphi, The Business & Innovation Centre of Bradford, Small firms Development Grand, Bradford
- Unver E., (2008), funding received, Automake project: digital generative craft project, Research communities fund,
- Taylor, A., Unver E., 2008, funding received, Collaborative research funding for the development of Interactive Online E-learning Environments,
- Unver E., Hunt E., Daniels L, 2005/2006, Motion capture, Stereoscopic visualisation and 3D printing, funding, testing, purchasing, implementation, dissemination,
- Unver E., Tancock, T 2004/2005 funding received) Bright Ideas fund, Development of a 3D laser scanning digitising process for education and industrial applications.
He has lectured in a number of institutions delivering modules both undergraduate and postgraduate including Mechanical Engineering, Software Programming, Industrial Design & Product Design, Transport Design, 3D Digital Design. Dr Unver has three current PhD students, two PhD completions, five MA by Research, and sixteen MA 3D master students supervision completed. University of Huddersfield academic responsibilities includes:
• 2007 – date: MA 3D Digital Design Course Leader
• 1999 – date: Product Design Team Member, Year 2 Tutor, Shared Responsibilities include interviewing students, admission, marking assessment and management.
• 2009 - date: Course Leader Group member, for the Department of Architecture and 3D,
• 2012 - date: School specialist for 3D Modelling and Prototyping. The expert for the selection of School's 3D printers and selection of the Laser Sintering - 3D prototyping tools at the 3M Buckley Innovation Centre.
• 2006 – date: Leading Enterprise Committee member for the School of Art, Design and Architecture of University Enterprise Centre
• 2005 - date: 3D Scanning, Reverse Engineering, 3D Motion Capture Advisor
• 2001 - 2011: School Research Committee Member,
• 2001 - 2011: School Teaching and Learning Committee member,
• 2001 - 2006: School web site administrator
• 2001 - 2006: Course leader for Industrial Design course
Teaching and Professional Activities
Dr Unver is currently the CAD/CAM manufacturing and technology specialist for 3D Design, which includes MA 3D Digital Design Master, Product Design and Transport Design courses.
Current UG Modules Delivered:
- THD1346 Major Design Project 60 Credits
- THD1226 Minor Design Project 40 Credits
- THD1227 Major Design Project 40 Credits
- TID 1190 Materials, Manufacturing and Digital Technologies 40 Credits
- TID 1079 Advance Computing and Technology Studies 20 Credits
Current Postgraduate module
- TMA 1142 Exploration in Practice 30 credits
- TMA 1143 Exploration through Practice 30 credits
- TMA1115 Final Masters Project 60 credits
He regularly uses the following packages:
- 3D modelling and animation: Solidworks, Alias Design Studio, 3D Max,
- 3D animation: 3D Studio Max, Maya,
- Virtual Reality: 3DVIA formerly known as Virtools (3D Programming for interactive media)
- Character Animation: Character Studio with 3D max and Maya,
- Motion Capture: Moven Studio,
- 2D CAD, AutoCAD, Illustrator,
- 3D scanning and cloud data : Geomagic Studio, Minolta Polygon Editing,
- Image & Film editing, processing effects: Adobe Photoshop, Premiere, After Effects,
- Solid Model optimization: Solidworks Simulation & Motion,
- Web site creation: Micromedia Dreamweaver,
- Stereoscopic film and interactive media creation, motion tracking,