Prof Grigoris Antoniou
firstname.lastname@example.org | 01484 472147
Born in Greece, Grigoris studied computer science at Karlsruhe (Germany), and in 1989 he completed his PhD at Osnabrueck (Germany) on program verification. After spending a few more years in Osnabrueck, he emigrated to Australia in 1994, where he stayed until 2001. During that period he moved up the academic ladder, becoming Professor at Griffith University in 1999. His research in that period was mainly concerned with issues of knowledge representation.
Australia was nice and offered ample research funding possibilities, but it was too far away from home, so he decided to return to Europe. After a short stay in Bremen, he became Professor at the University of Crete in 2002, where he spent the next 10 years. From 2004 to 2011 he was, in addition, Head of the Information Systems Laboratory at FORTH, the top-rated research institution in Greece.
During that decade, he expanded his research interests to include semantic technologies, as well as a number of application areas. He was happy to see significant recognition of his work, becoming an ECCAI Fellow in 2006; and to witness great impact through the publication of his book A Semantic Web Primer which has become the standard textbook in this area and has been translated to Chinese, Japanese, Korean and Spanish. And privately, he found someone who was silly enough to marry him, and became a happy, but sometimes annoyed, father of two sons.
A combination of family preferences and general developments in Greece led to his decision to move once more, and join Huddersfield in 2012. He is determined to continue his research on semantic and knowledge technologies and their applications, seeking to take advantage of existing national funding opportunities and the international outreach of the UK. At the same time, he hopes that, by bringing in his research expertise and network of research collaborations across Europe and beyond, he will make a significant contribution towards Huddersfields continued strengthening in terms of research quality, impact and reputation.
Research & Scholarship
My research interests lie mainly in the theory, implementation and application of knowledge representation and semantic technologies. Particular interests on the theoretical side include:
- Foundations of ontology languages
- Knowledge dynamics
- Nonmonotonic reasoning
- Foundations of rule-based systems
- Reasoning about context.
Particular interests on the application side include:
- Ambient intelligence
- E-Commerce: declarative business rules, electronic contracts, automated agent negotiations
- Web-based systems: Semantic Web, Web services, context-aware systems
- Applications of ontology-based systems: e-Learning, Knowledge Management, bioinformatics, cultural information systems
Recently, a major focus of my work is to apply semantic technologies in ambient intelligence environments. Ambient intelligence promises to deliver novel services to the right people at the right time at the right place, taking into account the context of the users. Knowledge technologies promise to play a key role in representing and exploiting contextual information.
Publications and Other Research Outputs
Batsakis, S., Antoniou, G. and Tachmazidis, I. (2014) ‘Reasoning over Spatial Orientation Relations Using Rules’. In: 18th East-European Conference on Advances in Databases and Information Systems (ADBIS 2014), September 7-10, 2014, Ohrid, Republic of Macedonia
Batsakis, S., Antoniou, G. and Tachmazidis, I. (2014) ‘Integrated Representation of Temporal Intervals and Durations for the Semantic Web’. In: 18th East-European Conference on Advances in Databases and Information Systems (ADBIS 2014), September 7-10, 2014, Ohrid, Republic of Macedonia
Tachmazidis, I., Antoniou, G. and Faber, W. (2014) ‘Efficient Computation of the Well-Founded Semantics over Big Data ’ Theory and Practice of Logic Programming . ISSN 1471-0684
Batsakis , S., Antoniou, G. and Tachmazidis, I. (2014) ‘Representing and Reasoning over Topological Relations in OWL’. In: 4th International Conference on Web Intelligence, Mining and Semantics (WIMS' 14), June 2-4, 2014 , Thessaloniki, Greece
Wang, K., Wang, Z., Topor, R., Pan, J. and Antoniou, G. (2014) ‘Eliminating concepts and roles from ontologies in expressive descriptive logics’ Computational Intelligence , 30 (2), pp. 205-232. ISSN 0824-7935
Tachmazidis, I., Antoniou, G. and Faber, W. (2014) ‘Efficient Computation of the Well-Founded Semantics over Big Data’ Theory and Practice of Logic Programming . ISSN 1471-0684
Analyti, A., Damasio, C., Antoniou, G. and Pachoulakis, I. (2014) ‘Why-provenance information for RDF, rules, and negation’ Annals of Mathematics and Artificial Intelligence , 70 (3), pp. 221-277. ISSN 1012-2443
Ribeiro, M., Wassermann, R., Flouris, G. and Antoniou, G. (2013) ‘Minimal change: Relevance and recovery revisited’ Artificial Intelligence , 201, pp. 59-80. ISSN 0004-3702
Flouris, G., Konstantinidis, G., Antoniou, G. and Christophides, V. (2013) ‘Formal Foundations for RDF/S KB Evolution’ Knowledge and Information Systems , 35 (1), pp. 153-191. ISSN 0219-1377
Tachmazidis, I., Antoniou, G., Flouris, G., Kotoulas, S. and McCluskey, T. (2012) ‘Large-scale Parallel Stratified Defeasible Reasoning’. In: Frontiers in Artificial Intelligence and Applications: Proceedings of ECAI 2012 . : IOS Press. pp. 738-743. ISBN 978-1-61499-097-0
Papakonstantinou, V., Michou, M., Fundulaki, I., Flouris, G. and Antoniou, G. (2012) ‘Access control for RDF graphs using abstract models’. In: SACMAT '12 Proceedings of the 17th ACM symposium on Access Control Models and Technologies . : ACM. pp. 103-112. ISBN 978-1-4503-1295-0
Tachmazidis, I., Antoniou, G., Flouris, G. and Kotoulas, S. (2012) ‘Towards Parallel Nonmonotonic Reasoning with Billions of Facts’. In: Principles of Knowledge Representation and Reasoning: Proceedings. Rome, Italy: AAAI Press. pp. 638-642.
Antoniou, G., Eiter, T. and Wang, K. (2012) ‘Forgetting for Defeasible Logic’. In: Logic for Programming, Artificial Intelligence, and Reasoning . : Springer. pp. 77-91. ISBN 9783642287169
Analyti, A., Antoniou, G. and Damasio, C. (2011) ‘MWeb: A principled framework for modular web rule bases and its semantics’ ACM Transactions on Computational Logic , 12 (2), p. 17. ISSN 1557-945X
Billington, D., Antoniou, G., Governatori, G. and Maher, M. (2010) ‘An inclusion theorem for defeasible logics’ ACM Transactions on Computational Logic , 12 (1), p. 6. ISSN 1557-945X
Bikakis, A. and Antoniou, G. (2010) ‘Defeasible Contextual Reasoning with Arguments in Ambient Intelligence’ IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering , 22 (11), pp. 1492-1506. ISSN 1041-4347
Wang, K., Wang, Z., Topor, R., Pan, J. and Antoniou, G. (2009) ‘Concept and Role Forgetting in ALC Ontologies’. In: The Semantic Web: Proceedings of ISWC 2009. : Springer. pp. 666-681. ISBN 9783642049293
Analyti, A., Antoniou, G., Damasio, C. and Wagner, G. (2008) ‘Extended RDF as a Semantic Foundation of Rule Markup Languages’ Journal of Artificial Intelligence Research , 32, pp. 37-94. ISSN 1076-9757
- ECCAI Fellow (since 2006)
- Adjunct Professor, Griffith University, Australia (since 2008)
- Invited speaker at ICTERI 2012
- Invited speaker at RuleML 2011
- Invited speaker at ADBIS 2010
Research Degree Supervision
I am interested in research supervision within my general areas of expertise: knowledge systems, semantic technologies, management of large data sets, and their applications in various domains, including Web systems, ambient intelligence and e-science.
- Please contact this member of staff to discuss possible opportunities.
Activities in scientific societies
- Member of the ECCAI (European Coordinating Committee on Artificial Intelligence) Board (since 2008)
- Treasurer of Semantic Technologies \institutes International (STI2) (since 2012)
- Member of the IFIP Working Group on the Semantic Web (since 2004)
- Editor, Knowledge and Information Systems
- Editor, International Journal of Artificial Intelligence Tools
- Editor, Intelligent Decision Technologies
- Editor, International Journal of Logic-Based Intelligent Systems
- Editorial Board member, Intelligence Science Series, World Scientific Publishers
Recent organisation of journal special issues
- Guest editor, Journal of Web Semantics, Special Issue on Semantic Web Dynamics (2011)
- Guest editor, Journal of Logic and Computation, Special Issue on Ontology Dynamics (2009)
Current/recent conference leadership
- Organizer, Dagstuhl Seminar on Semantic Data Management (2012)
- Steering Committee member, Extended Semantic Web Conference (ESWC), since 2011
- General Co-Chair, RuleML 2012
- General Chair, 8th Extended Semantic Web Conference (ESWC2011)
- Advisory Committee member, 22nd International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence (IJCAI11)
- Advisory Committee member, WIMS'11, The International Conference on Web Intelligence, Mining and Semantics
- PC Co-Chair, 7th Extended Semantic Web Conference (ESWC2010)
- PC Co-Chair, 2009 IEEE International Conference on e-Business Engineering (ICEBE 2009), Macau, China
Current/recent project acquisition
- Rule-based reasoning systems for complex and dynamic ontologies (Australian Research Council, 2010-2012)
- Efficient multi-context systems for heterogeneous information reasoning and sharing (Australian Research Council, 2011-2013)
- PlanetData Network of Excellence (European Commission, 2010-2014)
- APARSEN Network of Excellence (European Commission, 2010-2014)