Research Rampage – game on for 8 to 14 year olds!
Thu, 15 Sep 2011 11:15:00 BST
Have you got what it takes to be a real life researcher? You can find out by becoming a virtual researcher! Do this by playing a game that has been specially developed by University of Huddersfield experts.
Named ‘Research Rampage’, the game lets you explore how materials are created and find out what it’s like to be a forensic scientist, a sculptor, a chemist or a textile designer.
You can tackle fun challenges like mixing dyes to create the perfect colour and shearing the wool from a virtual sheep! Start practicing now and build up your score and if you’re aged between 8 and 14 then you can take part in a special competition to win a Playstation 3, Nintendo Dsi or gaming vouchers
This is how you can take part:
• Practice the online game at home.
• Come to Researchers’ Night at the University of Huddersfield on Friday 23 September and visit the competition area between 4 and 7pm (Creative Arts Building, floor 2, CAA2/02 and 04).
• Play the special Research Rampage mini game – only available at Researchers’ Night.
• Get a top three score and win a prize!
• The winners will be announced at the closing event and the prizes will be presented to the winners at their school the following week.
Student game designers, project manager Dan Fitchie and
cartoon designer Emma Heywood
The game has been designed by the University’s award-winning games development unit Canalside Studios, run by a team of students in their placement year. After winning a competition sponsored by Microsoft, the studio team were awarded a games development contract and have subsequently released two games commercially – ‘Yo-Ho Kablammo’ for Xbox LIVE and ‘Missing Reel’ for Xbox Indie games.
The team have also been working in collaboration with the Royal Armouries, Leeds to create a range of educational games relating to the museum’s collection.
If you want to play the game you can find it on the Research Rampage website now.Back to news index - All Stories