Our WiFi networks
When you connect a wireless device to our WiFi on campus, you'll see two options.
- Our secure primary wireless network.
- Once connected, it remains connected.
- Students and staff should use Uni-WiFi where possible
- If you have a University username and password then you can access Uni-WiFi.
How to log onto Uni-WiFi
Uni-WiFi broadcasts its network name (SSID), but you will need to set the security settings.
- When you have selected Uni-WiFi, and are asked what sort of security to use, choose WPA2 Enterprise.
- Encryption type is AES
- Authentication method is Microsoft Protected EAP (PEAP)
- Log in with your usual University username and password.
- If you are prompted to accept a security certificate, do so.
Note that some older devices do not support WPA2 enterprise and therefore cannot connect. Devices running windows XP will need service pack 3.
For detailed guides, use the following links:
Windows7 PCs: Uni_WiFi_Windows7
Windows10 tablets and PCs: Uni_WiFi_Windows10
Macs: Uni_wifi_mac guide
Android devices: Uni_Wifi_android guide
iPhones and iPads: Uni_Wifi_iphone guide
Conditions of Use
When using this service, even if it is with your own device, you are subject to and expected to comply with the Computing Regulations PDF .
In order to make this service accessible to the majority of users, this service does not provide a secure wireless environment. This means that your device may be at risk from viruses or other malware present on other user’s devices. The University therefore strongly recommends that you take all precautions necessary to protect your device as the University accepts no liability for damage to your own device as a result of using this service.
- Wireless network for visiting students and staff from other universities.
- Not recommended for University students and staff when on campus due to restricted access into applications such as UniLearn.
- Use eduroam when visiting other Universities who offer the service.
The University of Huddersfield is a participating member of the eduroam(UK) service, an international scheme which allows people visiting other participating academic sites to use their home institution’s username and password to access a range of services. As a minimum these services include access to the internet using the participating institution’s wireless network.
At the University of Huddersfield, access to the eduroam service is currently limited to use of the wireless network.
UoH staff and students visiting other sites
Before visiting another site, please check that you know how to configure your device, by logging into eduroam here on campus.
- Username should be <username>@hud.ac.uk, where <username> is replaced by your username e.g.: UO555231@hud.ac.uk
- Password should be your normal Uni password
eduroam at Huddersfield
To use eduroam, simply select it from the list of available Wi-Fi networks and apply the following settings:
- Network Authentication should be WPA2
- Data encryption should be AES
- EAP type should be Protected EAP (PEAP)
- any setting to 'automatically use my windows login name' should be de-selected so that a login prompt is received
- If offered, the 'Quo Vadis Root' certificate should be accepted.
For detailed instructions, follow our Uni-WiFi guides, but substitute eduroam whenever the network name is mentioned.