University of Huddersfield Logo

Applying to the University

The University of Huddersfield is the 2013 Times Higher Education ‌University of the Year and is a fantastic place for both undergraduate and postgraduate study. The University was awarded two ‌Queen's Awards for Enterprise in 2013 and the award of University of the Year follows on from the Times Higher Education award for Entrepreneurial University of the Year in 2012.

EU Students

Please apply through UCAS. Do not apply direct as you will not be eligible for government support (fee loans, grants, etc).  Please note that there is a small fee for applying through UCAS.

Please apply directly to the University on-line.

If you have any questions please feel free to contact the International Office who will be happy to help.

All other International Students for Undergraduate and Postgraduate Programmes

You can make an application for a course at the University of Huddersfield free of charge.

Once you have decided what course you want to apply for, you can apply in one of two ways, but the quickest and easiest way to apply is on-line.

1) Complete our On-line Application Form

You will need to complete all of the required fields and upload scanned copies of your certificates for qualifications that you have already completed, so please make sure that you have all of this information available before you begin to complete the form. If you are applying for an arts course, for example music or graphics, you must also upload electronic copies of your work for the course tutor to assess.

2) Download our application form and post, fax or e-mail it back to us.

Download our application form in Word or pdf format and complete it. We will also need to see copies of your certificates for qualifications that you have already completed.

Application Form

 Application Form (Word)  

 Application Form (PDF)

Guidance Notes

 Application guidelines (Word) 

 Application guidelines (PDF) 


If you wish to apply for a PhD or any other form of Postgraduate Research qualification, please visit where there is also full information about research at the University of Huddersfield. If you have any queries regarding research programmes, please contact the Research Office.

Frequently asked questions

Are my qualifications acceptable?
Do I need a formal English language qualification?

In order for the University to carry out a formal assessment of your qualifications and determine your suitability for entry onto your chosen course, you must submit a complete application to us including all relevant supporting documentation. We are unable to carry out ‘speculative admissions’ or offer any informal advice on your chances of success.

You can check if you have the entry requirements (both academic and English language), by visitng our country pages.

Note: If you do not have any formal English qualifications, please inform the International Office of this when you apply.

If you do not meet the entry requirements you can consider completing a degree preparation programme (if you are from a country outside of the EU) at the University’s International Study Centre (ISC) or you can call the ISC on +44 (0) 1273 339333 to discuss your options. You can also complete the online application form or to ask a question please fill in the enquiry form and talk to one of our multi-lingual Student Enrolment Advisers.

If your English language is not at the required level (IELTS 6.0 overall), we have a range of Pre-Sessional English programmes (PSP) that you can enrol on before starting your degree programme. You will not need to take an IELTS test after completing one of our Pre-Sessional English programmes.

What documentation do I need to supply to the University?

When submitting an application to the University of Huddersfield, you must submit supporting documentation. This is essential and should include the following:

- Academic Transcripts/Marksheets and Certificates/Diplomas

- A Personal Statement/Statement of Purpose (Information on what to include in a Personal Statement can be found on the UCAS website.)

- Proof of English Language skills (We accept IELTS minimum 6.0 or equivalent certificates.)

- Two References (Information on suitable references can be found on the UCAS website.)

- A suitable Portfolio (required for many of the courses in Art, Design and Architecture) For more information please download our Art, Design and Architecture Application Guide 2014-15.

- For Undergraduate Music courses and MMus a suitable Portfolio is required.  For more information please download our undergraduate music application guide or Mmus_Application_Guide_2014

- Sponsorship Confirmation (If your fees are going to be paid by your Government or other organisation).

- If you are an International Student already living in the United Kingdom, you must provide a copy of your passport and current visa with your application.

Please note that the University will not hesitate to take further action as necessary in cases of suspected fraud.  In the event of a fraudulent application and/or fraudulent documentation, any offer will immediately be withdrawn and no future applications will be accepted.  Offers will also be immediately withdrawn from candidates whose deposit payments are dishonoured.  Additionally, we may withdraw any Confirmation of Acceptance for Study (CAS) which has been issued for visa purposes and inform the UKBA.

I don’t have IELTS 6.0 or equivalent, what should I do?

We have extensive on-campus Pre-Sessional English Language Programmes (PSP) that will take you to the required level. You will need to take a test first, in order to establish your current English language level, but we can then accept you with an IELTS scores between 4.0 and 5.5 onto our Pre-Sessional English Programme. You will be a University student from day one of your programme, which is run by us in the centre of our campus, and passing your Pre-Sessional English Programme will guarantees you entry to your degree course. If you want to be considered for our Pre-Sessional English Programmes please contact us.

Can I apply for more than one course?

Applicants who wish to apply for a course but have more than one course in mind are welcome to make multiple course applications. Generally, the International Office will consider up to three course applications at any point in time.

When and how will I find out if my application has been successful?

We will keep you informed of the progress of your application by email, so please ensure that you include your current e-mail address when making an application and regularly keep an eye on your inbox once your application has been submitted.

If you apply through an official representative of the University, our representative will keep you updated as your application progresses.

Will I be required to pay a tuition fee deposit?

All applicants to full-time, on campus courses who are classified as ‘self-funded’ and are not sponsored by a government or other organisation will be asked to pay a tuition fee deposit as a condition of their offer. This is to reassure the UK Border Agency that the applicant is a genuine student, with the sufficient funds to commence studies in the UK.

More information on the tuition fee deposit and how to pay can be found on the tuition fee webpage.

Where can I get more information on my chosen course(s)?

If you would like more information on your chosen course(s), please refer to our online course directory. On our directory you will be able to find further information on your course including course structure, teaching and assessment methods and career opportunities that arise from completing the course. Contact details for the relevant academic schools are included too, should you have any further queries.

Are there scholarships available?

The University of Huddersfield has an extensive scholarship programme in place to help well-qualified international students pursue their studies with us. Scholarships normally apply to each year of study. All ‘self-funded’ students who are paying their own tuition fees and meet our minimum entry requirements are automatically considered for a recurring annual scholarship of £2,000. There is no separate application process for this and we’ll let you know if you have been awarded a scholarship when we issue your offer letter.

Scholarships are also available for international students who meet certain eligibility requirements.

I require some further information, who do I contact?

If you require any additional information that is not available on our website, please contact the International Office either via e-mail or by telephone on +44 (0)1484 472383. Alternatively, you can come see us in person. We can be found in the Student Central building between 10:00am and 4:00pm.

Last updated Tuesday 16 December 2014
Thank you for your feedback.

Your feedback has been sent to the University Web/E-Marketing Team.

Needs improvement

Needs improvement

Needs improvement

VAT registration number 516 3101 90

All rights reserved ©