To secure the highest quality of applicant and to further the University’s diversity objectives, all posts will normally be advertised using suitable external paper and/or electronic media. The University recognises that in certain circumstances external advertising is unsuitable. External advertisements will not be required in the following circumstances:
1) The post is used for redeployment purposes (ill health or redundancy or alternative offer when individual has over one year’s continuous service)
2) A permanent post has been externally advertised in the last six months and the position is now being offered to the second choice candidate for the post advertised.
3) The post is for temporary casual employment (hourly paid) using recruitment agency, and does not extend to more than 3 months.
4) The post is for a PTHP member of staff appointed from the pool. Each department must ensure that its PTHP pool is refreshed at least every 24 months through external advertisement.
5) For reasons of business continuity PRG approve an internal appointment (judged on a case by case basis)
6) The post is a researcher who is named in an external bid and funding is dependent on that named person undertaking work.
7) The post is a researcher and the contract or series of contracts is for less than two years and the principal investigator confirms that:
a) Specific specialist knowledge/skills are required
b) A senior manager confirms that they are unlikely to recruit someone of greater calibre in the external market. There are no extensions to these contracts after the 2 year period. Where new funding is sought or where the work extends beyond the 2 year timescale the researcher post must be advertised before the end of the contract.
8) Where temporary academic cover is required and there is insufficient time to recruit from the market before the start of the academic year a person may be appointed on a fixed term contract without external advert as long as the following conditions apply:
a) The temporary contract must be shorter than the academic year
b) There must be a genuine reason why the School was unable to recruit in normal timescales and that this was outside the control of the school e.g late notification of funding or long term sickness confirmed.
c) The post must be advertised on the University website marked available for departmental staff on fixed term contracts or members of the departmental PTHP pool only for at least one week with applications processed by CV direct to the School.
d) Where the post is covering a permanent vacancy there must be a commitment to recruit a permanent replacement within three months of the start of the academic year (demonstrated by monitoring approval for the permanent post at the same time as the request to internally advertise).
9) The post is part of the Local Employment Partnership.
10) In cases of Career Entry level positions (Grade 3) where specific subject knowledge and graduate/postgraduate qualification is essential to future career progression such posts may be subject to restricted advertisement to recent graduates/postgraduates within the University. In such cases the relevant cohort should be contacted and invited to apply.