Research group: Systems Engineering Research Group (SERG)
Project title: Computer Grid and Cluster applications in Engineering
Grid and Cluster computing is no longer confined to academic and research environments, as evident from some of the applications in UK and Europe, such as:
- BEA Systems use Grid technology in compute-intensive engineering activities such as aerodynamic and structural design of aircraft, and "power of fluid mechanics-based design processes" using off-the shelf hardware to create a Grid.
- BMW run a crash analysis and simulation work on a large Linux cluster, and use Grid technology to reduce model design time.
- Audi's Grid does crash simulations and engineering studies in designing new models (analysis of a car's aerodynamics, checking the noise and comfort levels in a car's interior).
- Rolls-Royce aims to build an internal grid to support the integrated diagnostic tools processing a large volume of engine health monitoring data collected during ground-based testing.
Grid technology coordinates sharing of remote resources and services belonging to multi-institutional Virtual Organization.
The aim of this project is to investigate the implementation of cluster and grid technologies and their deployment in engineering, and business applications.
- Identify the current deployment of these technologies, their advantages and disadvantages
- Evaluate current proposed solutions in the ongoing research efforts,
- Design and Implement Grid solution enabling cross-departmental access to existing resources in the University of Huddersfield, and unifying the homogenous resources of an HP cluster with the heterogeneous platforms of various computer networks, instrumentation, hardware and software in the University.
- Propose Grid technology deployment in a small engineering business/consortium environment.
The applicants for this research project will hold 1st or 2nd class UK honours degree (or equivalent), or Masters Degree, in computer science and engineering, information technology, communication, networks, or a related discipline.
Related website: Systems Engineering Research Group (SERG)
Academic Department: Department of Engineering and Technology: Electronic and Electrical Engineering
Contact: Dr Violetta Holmes
Tel: +44 (0)1484 473588
Repository link: Currently unavailable
Back to previous page
Last updated Thursday 29 August 2013
Thank you for your feedback.
Your feedback has been sent to the University Web/E-Marketing Team.